help I D ing carb/intake combo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help I D ing carb/intake combo please

if you folks have a moment could ya look over a few photos of a early one pc. carb /intake and share with me its info and intended use. found no numbers or markings. thanks for taking the time. gary
    007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg
    gww57.com

I'll go out on a limb and say the manifold looks like it would fit a teens vintage Indian. Other than that speculation, I have never seen anything like that for a motorcycle in early trade magazines. I have seen gears used at the throttle on Heitger carbs, but not multiple throttle disks. Did you get any history on it Gary, and did it come with some known mtcy. parts?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

hi Eric, thanks for getting back. watching the disks work together is neat. there is a small spring loaded shaft that enters the bowl area just above the float, when push in holds the float down. sure have not been around this combo. it was with some 1917 powerplus parts. the back side does resemble later clamp down looks of early powerplus though. i,ve seen photos and a few in person of Indians tomato can carbs, did they go from them to the separate intake and carb or was this possible between? thanks again. gary
      got a DLX7 with the engine.
      010.jpg
      gww57.com

Comment

Gary, I had a Schebler retrofit intake manifold, with carb that was intended for a Hedstrom vintage Indian twin. I assumed it was offered by Schebler because the Hedstrom carb must have become harder to get parts for, or maybe the Schebler was just a better carburetor. Or, maybe Indian made that intake manifold to phase the Hedstrom carb out of inventory. I've always wondered what the deal was with that set-up as there was no Schebler name or trademark on the manifold. All of that aside, that is a wicked cool carburetor you have. I wonder if it works?
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I'm with Eric on it being a Heitger. They made carburetor so to be fitted to a number of models and they are quite rare. Does it actually have three butterfly disks or just the one in the front? On the Heitger carburetors that I've owned, there was a geared setup like yours but with only two shafts. The one without the butterfly would cam the needle valve up and down depending on the throttle position.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Its out my league, again, Folks,

The only thing I recognize is the flusher.
            My photo library of Heitgers all show an "airvalve" at the front like an Schebler HX.

So Gary!
            Does air come in at the bottom of the bowl, or is it a cap nut like a DLX?

Some macro photos on a neutral background would be great.. Thanks!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Gary, I had a Schebler retrofit intake manifold, with carb that was intended for a Hedstrom vintage Indian twin. I assumed it was offered by Schebler because the Hedstrom carb must have become harder to get parts for, or maybe the Schebler was just a better carburetor. Or, maybe Indian made that intake manifold to phase the Hedstrom carb out of inventory. I've always wondered what the deal was with that set-up as there was no Schebler name or trademark on the manifold. All of that aside, that is a wicked cool carburetor you have. I wonder if it works?
              Eric Smith
              excuse me for just now getting back. choirs. sure thank all of you for taking the time to getting back. i ve had in the past 50s and up bikes but in just the last 5 years have i been around the earlier bikes. so a lot of learning needed on my end. problem will be remembering it.. Eric after cleaning it up a bit i think its a user.

I'm with Eric on it being a Heitger. They made carburetor so to be fitted to a number of models and they are quite rare. Does it actually have three butterfly disks or just the one in the front? On the Heitger carburetors that I've owned, there was a geared setup like yours but with only two shafts. The one without the butterfly would cam the needle valve up and down depending on the throttle position.
              Mark
              Mark Masa
              hi Mark, i ll add a few more photos. there are two disk, (butterflies). between them is as you explained a needed that is horizontal cam lifted and lowered with the throttling gear movement. first thoughts looking at it, did not understand seeing both butterflies working together how you could not be choking it any time you were not twisting her tail. after reading what Cotten wrote i guess its possible to draw needed air threw the bottom bowl tube. i have allot to learn.

Its out my league, again, Folks,

The only thing I recognize is the flusher.
              My photo library of Heitgers all show an "airvalve" at the front like an Schebler HX.

So Gary!
              Does air come in at the bottom of the bowl, or is it a cap nut like a DLX?

Some macro photos on a neutral background would be great.. Thanks!

....Cotten

Cotten, whos marco? my photoing an computering abilities are way below grand kids. but am getting better. and you know alot more than you let on. thanks again to all you folks for sharing. here are a few more photos. not neutral. gary
              001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg
              gww57.com

Comment

006.jpg007.jpg
                gww57.com

Comment

One thing for sure, if you do run it; you'll need a support bracket to hold it up. It looks heavy at the intake end.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Sucher's Iron Redskin says the factory was pleased to discontinue the Hedstrom carb to save money, as royalties were paid to Hedstrom for his carb, and probably other designs as well.
                    Wonder what Hendee claimed if anything.

Comment

My suspicion, Folks,

Is that either there should be a cap nut on the bowlstem instead of the open one in the pic,...
                      Or the front has been sawn off.

But I can't even figure out why the fuel inlet is above the bowl. Seem doomed.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Gary, I was talking to a very knowledgeable motorcycle friend today, and he started talking about Pope motorcycles. [He's looking for a Pope motor, by the way]. He has most of a Pope (including the carburetor) and mentioned that the later Pope's had a one piece carburetor, and manifold. Might be worth looking into.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I did some looking myself and came across Jay Leno's Pope. It is a one piece carb/manifold but his carb clearly says Schebler. So, your carb is still a mystery Gary
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric!

Pope's across my benches look like most other early HXs,

..as if HXs were ever the same!

Can you snag some pics from the immortal Leno for us?
                            (My 'data allowance' is precious...)

Thanks in advance...

....Cotten
                            PS: The only intact Pope that I ever "witnessed" was Chuck Lipsky's three and a half decades ago or so, and I wasted my time gawking at the white latex tires with "chain" treads.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-02-2016, 04:05 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

A bit difficult to see.

Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X