1938 oil tank review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938 oil tank review

I’m about to start pre assembly of a 38 Knuckle bobber project.
    The prices of pre war knuckle parts is a little prohibitive these days, so I’ll use whatever original 38 stuff that I have for this bike, and from there, any original knuckle parts from any year that I have in my collection.
    One of the items I haven’t collected is an oil tank, and the price of an aftermarket unit looks attractive, ($188 repro on eBay vs $600 OEM)

The pictures of the embossed top of the repro looks to be ok, but I’m wondering if any members have had issues with any part of the tank.
    A few years ago I read on this forum that the tapers on the oil nipple, are the wrong angle.
    I can see that the eBay offerings still have this issue, but I can live with it if they seal properly into original oil lines.

Anyone had any dealings with one?
    Steve
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

The repop I bought many years ago needed to have the front mount repositioned.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Steve, at the end of the day everything can be fixed. Colony make a oil tank replacement fitting kit. Comes with three nipples. #2694-3. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

IMO for bobber repro is ok, may need a little tweeking, but a lot of OEM parts need tweeking also because they weren't produced for the bike you are assembling

Comment

Thanks Chris, Bob and 36knuck.

I should explain that this bike will be assembled as original, until I run out of 1938 parts.
          Original 38 parts that I’ve got for this bike: engine 38EL117X, 38 frame #2 revision, # 3 revision forward sweep springer, orig front fender, headlight and bracket, 38 gearbox, lid, and kicker cover, orig stepped hubs, 18” rims, NOS spokes, 38 front brake, orig rear brake, front and rear axles, narrow clutch assembly, dash, ignition switch, John B checked, and serviced 38 speedo, shift gate, rear brake lever assembly, seat T, 38 foot brake lever.

The (later) original parts that I will fit, are why I am terming the bike a bobber.
          As follows: NOS 39 rear fender flip, Orig 39-40 dash cover, 41-up outer primary, 41- 46 tanks, emblems and trim, , 41- 46 tail light, orig half moon running boards & brackets, 4 hole clutch bracket, , 1940-up handle bars and controls, side stand, ventilated seat, 4 bolt carbie.

I think the aftermarket parts will be isolated to cloth loom, Colony nuts and bolts, parts of the exhaust system and maybe or maybe not the oil tank….I’m rethinking the oil tank.
          I don’t want to remove brackets and weld them back on, or replace oil nipples.

Some may wonder why I’m not restoring the bike.
          I’ve had my 37 Knuckle on the road for a few years now, (thanks to Kyle Oanes for the excellent engine build) and (Jerry Wieland for some beautiful, unobtainable parts) and I am very happy with the bike.
          On the last “Great Race” I rode 1200 miles without putting a spanner to it.

I’m trying to rationalise the fleet, and the parts collection.
          When the bike is assembled and sorted, I’ll sell it, and the main bones of the bike will be 1938.
          The new owner can easily remove the later parts and sell them and take a second mortgage on tanks, dash cover, two hole clutch bracket, unventilated seat, etc.

Thanks for your input on the oil tank.
          I might wait and see what comes up on the shopping channel.
          Steve
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

looks like you need the early 38 oil tank.
            AMCA #765

Comment

Hi Len. I think the tank should have a flat bottom. I have been offered a correct tank by a very kind forum member if I can come up with a recessed bottom 39 tank. There happens to be one of these on the shopping Chanel at the moment. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info and it must be time to start season greetings. All the best to you and yours. Regards Steve
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Yes.
                And season greetings with a very Merry Christmas to you and family as well Steve.
                Hope things go well on the oil tank.
                Len.
                AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                X