Old bike shops in Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old bike shops in Vegas

Hello, I'll be headed through Las Vegas in a few days and wondered if anybody knew of some old bike shops with old stuff. Always looking to score some old flathead, knucklehead, panhead parts. If anybody knows where the old stuff is at let me know. Thanks!

Hello, I'll be headed through Las Vegas in a few days and wondered if anybody knew of some old bike shops with old stuff. Always looking to score some old flathead, knucklehead, panhead parts. If anybody knows where the old stuff is at let me know. Thanks!
    Now this as as humorous a post as I've seen in a while.....
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I don't see what's so funny "Rubone". I can give you a handful of shops in the Colorado front range, Southern California and Phoenix/Tucson areas that don't deal with anything newer than shovelheads. I have picked some parts in various locations in these demographics so I don't see why Las Vegas, which is larger than any of the areas I listed wouldn't have old bike shops as well. "Senior member" tells me you're one of the guys with a whole bunch of really cool **** that wouldn't possibly consider letting a younger guy like myself get ahold of anything, nor would you tip a younger guy off on where to score some vintage parts. Sounds like you're looking down your nose and laughing at me. Doesn't sound at all what AMCA's outreach for the younger guys embodies.

Comment

I gave up searching for old shops in Vegas 25 years ago.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Robbie is being a realist, and he's also right. Old bike shops are going extinct because there is no money in it. If you do come across a shop with old parts, it's a museum and nothing is for sale. 15 years ago, here in Sarasota there was a very active bike scene, and more shops per capita than I have ever seen in a town of this size. Now there is one shop left and they don't know do-do from shinola. Everyone that sells parts uses ebay because you have a bigger market base, and the opportunity to sell for more money. Mike, not to rub it in; but if you re-read your post a year from now, I think you'll see the humor in it.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I've seen some old stuff in Vegas at yard sales..look in the news paper.Came across a '16 HD,OP '64 Scat and a '62 Guzzi at yard sale.The boutiques have nothing.

Comment

This reminds me of a motorcycle hunt I went on in the late '70s. I had a week off from work, and took 3, or 4 days to scour South Georgia, and North Florida for old bikes. There was a motorcycle junk yard in Ocala, Florida and I stopped to find a Cleveland 4, but would have settled for a Henderson, or Ace. Needless to say, he didn't have anything like that but the owner did say that his deceased brother/business partner did have a couple of Indian 4s back in the early '60s. When it comes to old motorcycles, it has been my experience that I'm incredibly lucky, or 99% of the time, 20 years too late
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by skidshoe View Post
                I don't see what's so funny "Rubone". I can give you a handful of shops in the Colorado front range, Southern California and Phoenix/Tucson areas that don't deal with anything newer than shovelheads. I have picked some parts in various locations in these demographics so I don't see why Las Vegas, which is larger than any of the areas I listed wouldn't have old bike shops as well. "Senior member" tells me you're one of the guys with a whole bunch of really cool **** that wouldn't possibly consider letting a younger guy like myself get ahold of anything, nor would you tip a younger guy off on where to score some vintage parts. Sounds like you're looking down your nose and laughing at me. Doesn't sound at all what AMCA's outreach for the younger guys embodies.
                You're right, Mike.

Nothing changes.

When I was young, finding a Knuck was all about a shovel.

....Cotten
                PS: (And I don't mean a later OHV!)
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  ..If you do come across a shop with old parts, it's a museum and nothing is for sale.....
                  Please don't take this personally, Eric,...

But maybe they just don't pimp to pickers.

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I can't even think of the last shop I was in that had old parts on display, let alone for sale. There were 2 shops here in Sarasota that had old bikes and parts on display but they closed years ago. I think their disappearance is directly linked to their owner's comfort level with ebay. I have a good friend in Orlando who ran a walk-in bike shop starting in the mid-80s. Now he does ebay from a warehouse and his overhead is greatly reduced. It's a shame because he had a full service shop, and offered fabrication, and welding in addition to service, and rebuilding. I think this is an interesting subject because the bikes we could afford, and commonly saw are now rarely seen on the road. It doesn't seem possible considering how ubiquitous knucks, SVs, and pans were just 30 years ago.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Just 30 years ago!

.....Cotten
                      PS: For clarity: I was referring to the perspective of my own "museum"; Never registered for ebay,.... yet.
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-30-2015, 02:20 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Skidshoe, Mike, I have to ask:
                        how long you been playing with the old dogs now? It seems like it must be a very short time, and I mean to be as courteous as exeric in saying this. You are very welcome to hang out, btw.
                        Yes, things have changed a lot in the 25 years since I found the AMCA and re-charged my youth (and built the Chief I'd kept in boxes since getting drafted into the Army). I'm not sure who the "shops" are anymore, but I think it's more small-scale individuals that hold the gold now, and they're fairly proud of it. But they can't take it to the grave with them either, so there are opportunities, you just have to do the footwork. And don't come across like a young smart-aleck and get kicked out their door, that'll eventually make you a cranky old bastard like some of us are now! (been there, done that anybody?)

It's not over, it's just different. What's the same is that the iron will outlive us, if it survives the scrap drives. You have to hunt just as we do, but there are new-age "shovels" changing the rules of engagement.

Comment

You've brought up a good point filibuster. I recall there was a redistribution of wealth in our hobby in the middle part of the 1990s. As old time collectors were dying, or being forced to sell before dying, there were huge piles coming on the market, and showing up at the meets. It was truly the golden age for many of us, and allowed us to get into the hobby in a bigger way. This will happen again, but unfortunately for me, it will be guys my age that will be dying and not taking the good stuff to heaven. I think the same circumstance happened in the 1950s when the AMCA was founded, and the (then) young members were buying 1910 H-Ds, Indians, etc. from original owners who were in their 70s, and 80s. So, for all of you young members, hang in there......
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

What a lot of foofaraw over absolutely nothing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 48hdbob1 View Post
                              What a lot of foofaraw over absolutely nothing!!!
                              Comments like your's are pointless. If you can't contribute to the conversation; why make the effort to write a comment. If you don't like the topic, read something else.
                              Last edited by exeric; 12-02-2015, 10:47 AM. Reason: too rude
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X