Question about Federal Certification Label on Harley frames - '74 FXE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Federal Certification Label on Harley frames - '74 FXE

What year did Harley start putting Fed certification labels on frames?
    Trying to transfer a title and register a '74 FXE in Wisconsin.
    Got a letter from WI DOT asking for a pic and description of wording on the label...
    They claim that all mopeds and motorcycles produced after 1970 require this label.

I was under the impression that Harley didn't start this practice until the early 80's.....but not sure.
    Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what to send back to get this done.

Thanks!

What happens if the paint was stripped, repainted and the sticker is gone? The frame has the VIN stamp, why do they care about the sticker?

Comment

I thought that wunderkid Scott Walker aimed to eliminate bureaucratic waste....he seems to have missed WI DOT. If it's correct that motorcycles built after 1970 required that Federal label, and now 40+ years after yours was built you cannot find the label, let alone photograph it, then there must be a workaround....it's not like nobody else has ever tried to title and register a 40+ year old vehicle in your state. I'd phone them, hope to get someone who understands the problem....not some pencil-neck whose only response is "by the book". Jess my opinion! Good luck!
      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

1970 are the first year that this was mandated. It states the vin number and the date of manufacture. Many motorcycles had their frames painted and the certification labels removed. Also if Harley supplied a frame for a wreck Harley will stamp the number on the vin pad on the neck casting but will not be able to put the certification label on it. In 2000 I bought a 2000 Heritage that did not have the sticker certification on it and later found out that it was a wreck with a new factory frame.

Comment

Thanks! How did you get around not having a label?

Comment

It was never a issue. I would contact your local HD dealer and ask them for a letter stating that if the machine was in a wreck and the frame was a FACTORY STAMPED VIN NUMBER replacement frame it would not have the label. That may get you out of the jam.

Comment

Working...
            X