"tick-over"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "tick-over"

Page 61 of the magazine, last issue, the one with the crusty Chief on the cover....
    In advertisers' description of the SS 100 Brough Superior
    "the 12 mph tick over in top gear"

"tick over" ??

I've taxed my imagination to interpret this term that I've never heard, but have to wonder how it would do as a trivia question. Let fly with the educated guesses, please. .. and if you really know, enlighten us (me).
    or am I the only one who hasn't heard this term?

As far as I'm aware it's from the saying "It runs as sweet as a watch" and the "Tick over" bit usually refers to a motor/engine at idle speed.
    Someone would make the statement "Ticks over nicely doesn't it" while observing a motor idling.
    I would imagine the above quote would infer that the Brough would motor along happily in top gear at 12 mph with the motor turning over at idle speed.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
      As far as I'm aware it's from the saying "It runs as sweet as a watch" and the "Tick over" bit usually refers to a motor/engine at idle speed.
      Someone would make the statement "Ticks over nicely doesn't it" while observing a motor idling.
      I would imagine the above quote would infer that the Brough would motor along happily in top gear at 12 mph with the motor turning over at idle speed.
      You ain't from around here, are you? (meant in jest, of course)
      Doing the math, if it runs 3000 rpm at 60, that's 600 rpm at 12 mph, but why would you? ... Salesmanship?
      anyway, thanks, you've made the most sense so far, I think you get the prize...

Comment

There's all sorts of sayings worldwide that mean something to locals but have visitors shaking their heads.
        Here's a kiwi one for you "It sucked a kumera" and one you would probably understand "It put a leg out of bed"
        No prizes but I would be interested in peoples thoughts.
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
          Page 61 of the magazine, last issue, the one with the crusty Chief on the cover....
          In advertisers' description of the SS 100 Brough Superior
          "the 12 mph tick over in top gear"

"tick over" ??

I've taxed my imagination to interpret this term that I've never heard, but have to wonder how it would do as a trivia question. Let fly with the educated guesses, please. .. and if you really know, enlighten us (me).
          or am I the only one who hasn't heard this term?
          Usually it is written as "tickover" and refers to the engine at idle with the throttle closed. Not surprisingly, the SS100 Broughs, both the JAP and AMC-engined varieties with a 3.5 or 4.2 overall top gear will chug along at 10-15 mph in top if the ignition lever is retarded. Flywheel size obviously helps. The AMC-engined SS80 side valve models and the 1,100 cc JAP-engined 11-50 Specials will also do this - again using retarded ignition.
          But the real performance in all these various models of Broughs - which I have had the experience of riding - really come into their own in top (4th) gear at 40 to 50 mph. From there on up they are smooth and relaxed touring bikes - and very quiet, too.
          AFJ

Comment

Thanks for your comments, fellas, and keep 'em coming. I'll "get a leg out of bed" and check in tomorrow, before the chickens are up.

Comment

Tickover would likely be preferable to tickoff.
              The Brits have some cool wordage like "Would you like a knock up in the morning?" (From the innkeeper)
              Or "Well, keep your pecker up." (Don't be sad/discouraged)
              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
              X