Please help me ID this kicker? gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me ID this kicker? gear

I found this in a box the other day. It looks like a kick start ratchet gear to me but I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking Indian, Excelsior or Henderson.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark
    Attached Files
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

I think you can safely eliminate Henderson, and Excelsior. Definitely not Henderson, and I believe the gear part would be larger, with more teeth on a Super X. For sure, more teeth on a Big X and a different configuration. I know that isn't much help Mark. Is that a Parkerized finish; if so that could date it to some degree.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
      The gear is NOS and the finish is Nickel plate. It's pealing off in spots but it is Nickel. To me, that puts it to the early twenties or before.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, I was looking at pictures of early Indians and I wonder if that is what your gear is from.

Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I think it's Indian too. It's hard to see it, but here's a page from the 1916 parts book. You can see that, like yours, it has 14 teeth.

In this picture you can see one on my work bench. The 14 tooth gear has the spring sitting on it. I believe the two larger kicker gears sitting next to it are from a later, larger displacement motor. Sorry I don't have a better picture wit me.

Kevin

Kevin
          https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Working...
          X