Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep Bob Stark in your thoughts this week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Bob Stark in your thoughts this week...

I just saw this comment by Gary Stark of Starklite Cycle on Facebook: "Dear Indian Motorcycle Community - I have some sad news to share. Last week my father, Bob Stark, suffered a stroke. Remarkably he made it out of the hospital and was able to go home against the doctors wishes this past Monday. Today he had a follow up appointment with his primary care physician.
    We were all told he has a few days to live. He has decided to stop his dialysis treatments and start hospice care at home, where he will start his final journey into the sunset and meet his wife who passed away last October.
    Please pray for our family while we spend these last few days together.
    Gary Stark"
    I remember going out to visit Bob a few times while I was accumulating parts and knowledge for my 1946 Chief. A real gentleman, he spent hours with me educating me, showing me what was right and wrong, and pointing me in the right direction with every question I asked of him. I think I kept him away from work too long, according to Gary one day. But he was like that; kinda lost track of time because he was so excited about the subject at hand, which was always Indian Motocycles! He is right up there in the Top among my Indian Motocycle heroes. I think he's getting anxious to go riding with Shorty, the love of his life. So, if you can, keep a good thought for Bob today...Bones

BONES47FL
    '46 Chief
    '47 FL

Agreed, as good as they come. Thinking of Gary and family - Bob and Shorty were friends and always helpful, losing many of our best as the years go by.

Comment

I got started in this hobby when I acquired a '48 Chief and sidecar "basket case". I soon learned that Charley Mathre and Bob Stark were the west coast men to know for parts and advice.
      I never got to meet Charley in person, but I was glad to meet Bob at his Fullerton shop on a trip to CA with friends for the AMCA Meet and other stops. He welcomed us to his shop, showed us all around, took us for lunch in his '57 Ford Wagon. I learned a lot from him about getting my Chief going. On a second visit, knowing that I rode my Chief where speed and distance is in kilometers, he said if I sent him my speedometer (with repro. face plate) he would have his tech. install an original kilometer face and rework the speedometer accordingly - all for a very reasonable cost and quick turn-around. By this time I had acquired a second project - a 101 Scout in pieces with no speedometer among other things. He generously offered me a later Corbin at a very fair price and suggested I could use it to trade later for the one I needed - which I was able to do on the same trip. He also let us ride one of his beautifully restored Salisbury scooters. Where else could you get that opportunity? On a third visit, we saw his new operation in Perris, CA and were again graciously received by Bob and his always cheerful wife Shorty. This was the first time I saw much of his model airplanes and was impressed with the new paved landing strip at their new ranch. Bob and Shorty were always gracious and friendly whenever I saw them and he always had time to talk Indians and parts, which he was so dedicated to. I'm sure this is no different a story than countless others could tell.
      I always grinned when he said "bitchin''" or Adios!
      May he rest in peace with his partner now and enjoy the Indian trails forever.
      John Crawford

Comment

When I first started dealing with Bob Stark in '68 or so, I considered him the "new kid on the block" compared to Sammy Pierce and a few other old (or at least older) timers. I came to appreciate the quality of Bob's merchandise -- and the quality of his character. The last time we talked face-to-face was at Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio in 2009. My, how time seems to have caught up with us! I shall always have fond memories of Bob Stark and the fine business he developed.
        George Tinkham
        Springfield, IL
        www.virmc.com
        AMCA # 1494
        1941 Indian 841
        1948 Indian Chief
        1956 H-D KHK
        1960 CH
        1964 BMW R69S
        1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
        1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

There's a lot of Indians on the road today due to Mr. Stark's dedication and commitment to the machines, hobby and riders he loved.

Thoughts are with him and his whole family in this tough time. There are, no doubt, thousands of his fellow Indian-enthusiasts as devoted to him as he was to them...

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
          X