Hot Rod style questions- period mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat black

I primed my bike with flat black primer and painted over that with flat black paint or matt black paint (not primer). This gives you a non porious finish. In fact, I have actually waxed over the mat black finish on my bike and there is still no shine. Aren't the "arrows" you have mentioned actually what is called "scallops"?

Comment

Hey Buster,
      I didn't realize there was a difference between flat paint & primer, good to know. I guess it makes sense that the chemistry is more complex than that. I tend to simplify. I think your right about the "scallops". I was using the same term as someone earlier in this discussion. I think Scallops is the term most used & correct. I've heard Arrows, Darts, Pointed Flames...
      Other than on planes, I always associated that paint job with the Boozefighters
      for some reason. My gut says the Air Races started the paint job & influenced the Bobbers after the War.
      Thanks, Bob

Comment

Ohhh ya! Thanks Buster, good tip re flat paint.
        Yup- scallops defines it very well. I think that's the most commonly used term also.

I was looking at John Donavon's bike Ft. Sutter meet (darts). Heartbreaking thinking back of his tradgic death. I hope his bike continues to make it out to meets. Makes me think about the important things.

The blistering fast pace of the machine is visually causing the forward color of the teardrop tank to bleed back onto the second color. Easy to see how that evolved into flames and other stuff.

Comment

yep -- john's indian was always one of my favorites. good guy, too.

Comment

The earliest use of "scallops" that I have seen was on Crockers.( original factory paint) Whether or not this was copied by Crocker or initiated by them we will never know. The connection between bobbers and Crockers is an interesting one however. There is a picture in a small obscure 1934 Clymer publication " Motorcycle Topics and speedway News" , of Crocker's designer and right hand man , Bigsby on his bobbed 101 Indian street bike with ohv conversion, a trend setter for sure. This is 2 years before the road going Crocker twins were released which as everyone knows was the first "factory " bobber of sorts. Presumably Bigsby had input into the styling. Many of you may know that Bigsby was an electric guitar pioneer as well , a super talented dude, although my friend Homer Wood ( retired mechanical engineer and purchaser of the very first Crocker sold!) tells me Bigsby was a tad full of himself. I suppose I would be too if I did all that!

Comment

You're right about the old primers being porous. My understanding is that PPG's latest DP-LF epoxy primers are not. They're more of a primer sealer. Last time I checked they came in black, grey and red oxide, all flat. I'm not up on other manufacturer's products but they probably have similar primers now.

Comment

To get that 'velvet' look as they say, use your flat black primer as you normally would, then shoot a couple clear 'matt' coats over it.

It seals the primer and leaves a matt black finish that you can pinstripe on top of.

Comment

When I did mine I just primed the sheet metal, then clearcoated over the primer, then rubbed it out with scotch-brite. The look is right and it is durable and cleanable.

Comment

Working...
                  X