Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Correct" finish?

Folks,

Usually the hair is split at "gloss" or "semi-gloss", but the prevailing dogma is that all post-War Linkert bodies were black.

A gentleman who actually worked at H-D in 1965 stopped in this weekend on his way to the Springfield Races, and declared them bare bronze.

Perhaps a batch got washed;
    The bottom line is that "correct" is a mythical ideal, and a great deal of History is lost in search of it.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

The first 65 I bought in 1979 was a 19,000 mile machine that showed no signs of being worked on had a bare bronze carb. At the time, I was unaware of the black paint as I had never seen a Linkert with the paint on it. As I was detailing the bike after a motor overhaul a friend said my carb body should be black. I told him he was nuts and should go away. First carb I saw with a painted body was an OD M88, then I bought a NOS M45A. The paint was close to flat black, not glossy. The only other NOS Linkert I have is a M55, came bare. It always seemed silly to paint such a beautiful casting.
    Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I've seen a lot of NOS black M74 Bs-all from police departments-i've rebuilt many Linkerts and few have had any trace of black
      Last edited by duffeycycles; 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Well, Folks,

I have had '65 carbs across my benches with flecks of black, so at least some were painted. It is more common on earlier barnfinds.

One L&L spec sheet for an earlier model cites "lacquer", which needs a careful application and often a buff to be "gloss", and usually dulls further with time.
        And apparently not resistant to even mid-60s fuels, much less the Gunk Hydro-Seal found in every shop.

Indian models seemed to have retained their paint and gloss much better, and late potmetal Scheblers the best.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A buddy of mine bought a 47 FL. He's the second owner and it was ridden hard and put away wet. He was tearing it apart to do an overhaul and I was looking at the pile of parts. I commented that his carb should be black and he said he thought somebody painted it and he bead blasted it to look like all the other Linkerts he had seen.

Comment

Working...
          X