Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youth Program Coordinator . . . Resignation ? ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Program Coordinator . . . Resignation ? ? ?

Disappointing that I learned of this sad occurrence on the "other" motorcycle website.
    Is Buck Carson a dirty word here? Taboo to mention? Censors ready to move in? If it's "politics", this is not the place for it.
    The AMCA claims to be desperate for young people to join up and carry on the tradition of love for old bikes. Perhaps the Powers That Be need to take a step back and reconsider how they treat their dues-paying members.
    Of course I don't know both sides of the story, but the bits and pieces I have heard do not sound encouraging.
    Last edited by frichie68; 05-22-2015, 01:30 PM.
    Rich Inmate #7084

What is the story, here?
    VPH-D

Comment

Check out the AMCA Facebook page...it's all there...

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
        Check out the AMCA Facebook page...it's all there...
        takes an act-of-God to get there from here.
        National news, and I can't read it unless I go to Facebook school.
        Think I'll go outside and shoot gophers instead.

Comment

I agree, I don't use Facebook and have no clue how to view something there....
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I'm with you filibuster. Facebook is miserable, and seems to be 'improved' every time I visit (i.e. screwed up). I think 2 tin cans, and a piece of string is a better communication tool
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              I'm with you filibuster. Facebook is miserable, and seems to be 'improved' every time I visit (i.e. screwed up). I think 2 tin cans, and a piece of string is a better communication tool
              I'll take it back on the "act-of-God" comment. I signed up, wondered how long it'd take to regret it, then went in there to AMCA Facebook. Read a lot of attitude stuff, which I just didn't have an appetite for today. Had to scan it for quite a while before I found the commentary section, then had to decipher what has happened from the commentary, which leaves me pretty unsure of, of, of anything! But here's what I think happened:
              ...... oh, bs! I'm outa here

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                I'll take it back on the "act-of-God" comment. I signed up, wondered how long it'd take to regret it, then went in there to AMCA Facebook. Read a lot of attitude stuff, which I just didn't have an appetite for today. Had to scan it for quite a while before I found the commentary section, then had to decipher what has happened from the commentary, which leaves me pretty unsure of, of, of anything! But here's what I think happened:
                ...... oh, bs! I'm outa here
                Phil, You've known me for decades and I buy my friends cold beer when it suits me, especially my South Dakota buds.. But as the newest Board member I can tell you there is more to this story. I cannot and will not even try and type that much. All I can say is after 42 years in this club people don't seem to be straight up any more and it cause me much pain and distress. I got on the Board to be a voice of reason and trust and everyone paints all Board members as some sort of Gravy Train Dogs. Far from it .We spend hours and hours sorting out adult behaviour. This whole social media stuff runs at the mouth and it worries me.We hired an excellent Executive Director and the poor guy spends all his time sorting out egos.I was never going to jump in the fray but for you or Land Shark I will make this comment. There are dedicated board members spending hours and hours working for the club and all I read is negativity. I signed on to help, but if this continue, I am going back to just attending meets and picking parts and visiting with my old American Bike friends, something I have cherished for years.
                Ross

Comment

Ross, congrats on your difficult position. Board members do work hard, no question. The real issue with the board will remain the fact that no member has any rights in this club except to a magazine. The day when ordinary members have a say so in who runs their club and who is on the board in some fashion will eventually change all the perceptions regarding the board. Sure, we can submit our application to be considered, but it still the club within the club.
                  In any society from time immortal, those in power generally refuse to give it up. Corruption, ego and mismanagement ultimately take over. While there have been steps to more openness in recent years, the control still rests within this group. It is an archaic structure. When this club formed years ago, there was no need for a more formal elective structure when everyone knew each other. Times have changed. I have heard arguments from board members that ordinary members don't really care about how things are run and this is the only viable method. That is total bull. There are too many other groups to look to for proof.
                  However, the concern about a total revamping possibly causing everything to change at once and fall apart also is not the immediate answer. Take a slow approach- elect two board members from the club at large and give us a direct say in our club. Start slow and see how it goes. If there is no interest to elect in this fashion, it will be obvious and we will be stuck with the dictatorial way in which things continue. However, if it works, it starts the democratic process this great country is known for, and then you slowly implement the changes to a truly open governing body.
                  This will end the facebook and behind the back crap.
                  As a country, we at times have issues with who we elect. We can only blame ourselves for that, but each election cycle we can change who is elected. But those we can't elect? They will always be open to ridicule and scrutiny and be blamed for everything and accused of being their own worst enemy no matter how hard they work because of the behind the back way in which they got where they are. Hopefully you can be someone who can do some good, but the deck is stacked against you. Best wishes. Marty

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    I agree, I don't use Facebook and have no clue how to view something there....
                    You don't know how lucky you are that you have not let yourself get sucked into the black hole of meaningless and mindless dribble of egos and horsecrap.
                    I wonder just how much having a facebook page has helped club membership?
                    What percentage or just how many of the members on the facebook page are actual dues paying members of the club?
                    Long holiday weekend and I will be in the garage all 3 days working on either taking apart or putting something together.
                    Tuesday morning roadtrip to look at a Knuckle basket/parts pile is scheduled.
                    More of that kind of stuff and less of all the clubs meddling in and promoting online childish political nonsense/BS is what this club needs.
                    John J. Pupecki #4340/46EL

Comment

Originally posted by bikerdds View Post
                      Ross, congrats on your difficult position. Board members do work hard, no question. The real issue with the board will remain the fact that no member has any rights in this club except to a magazine. The day when ordinary members have a say so in who runs their club and who is on the board in some fashion will eventually change all the perceptions regarding the board. Sure, we can submit our application to be considered, but it still the club within the club.
                      In any society from time immortal, those in power generally refuse to give it up. Corruption, ego and mismanagement ultimately take over. While there have been steps to more openness in recent years, the control still rests within this group. It is an archaic structure. When this club formed years ago, there was no need for a more formal elective structure when everyone knew each other. Times have changed. I have heard arguments from board members that ordinary members don't really care about how things are run and this is the only viable method. That is total bull. There are too many other groups to look to for proof.
                      However, the concern about a total revamping possibly causing everything to change at once and fall apart also is not the immediate answer. Take a slow approach- elect two board members from the club at large and give us a direct say in our club. Start slow and see how it goes. If there is no interest to elect in this fashion, it will be obvious and we will be stuck with the dictatorial way in which things continue. However, if it works, it starts the democratic process this great country is known for, and then you slowly implement the changes to a truly open governing body.
                      This will end the facebook and behind the back crap.
                      As a country, we at times have issues with who we elect. We can only blame ourselves for that, but each election cycle we can change who is elected. But those we can't elect? They will always be open to ridicule and scrutiny and be blamed for everything and accused of being their own worst enemy no matter how hard they work because of the behind the back way in which they got where they are. Hopefully you can be someone who can do some good, but the deck is stacked against you. Best wishes. Marty
                      Thanks Marty for the constructive feedback. I will take it to heart. You sound like my kind of motorcycle enthusiast.
                      Ross

Comment

So, what happened? I don't know face book, either...
                        VPH-D

Comment

Ross - From a relativly new member, who has not been here long enough to yet know better, thank you for your message, it helps me put some of what I read over the years into perspective. THANK YOU for stepping forward and being on the board, I know from experience its hard to get people to volunteer for positions and to try to make a difference. I believ as long as someone try's to make changes that comes from the heart and they truly feel its the right thing, then I support them in their efforts, it may not always be what I want (for that I should volunteer), but if its honest then I say please continue and help better the club for everyone. (As we all know, we are all made as individuals and therefore will never be unanimous.) I for one appreciate your posting as it helps me know you and your disrection.
                          Ride Safe, ride often and have fun!
                          Bob
                          Bob Beatty
                          AMCA 19209

Comment

I also do not do Facebook and have no interest in starting to. First we had the judges and there removal and all of the associated things with the judging process and now this.
                            Jim D
                            AMCA 2740
                            Jim D

Comment

Okay, my daughter gave me a 30-minute school on Facebook stuff. Then I re-read things, and from the top they go backward in time (near as I can tell). I went back about 3-4 days, and although I recognized only a few names it does appear to be an AMCA site. Some of the material is of the same interesting nature as we see on our forum. Some of the commentary is the same as what we USED TO SEE here when it became laden with venomous attitudes, until moderators gently cleaned it up. But for now, I think I have to advocate the Facebook effort mostly because of its popularity. Its "color" will evolve for a while (another I-think), and perhaps we'll just have to work with it, much as we have to work with anything that is "new-age" to us. Our seniors allowed us to graduate from the sex-drugs-rock-n-roll age, so why should we be too stuck on ourselves to allow the new-agers the same opportunity to work it out? If they sling a little too much bs, oh well, ..... the bike's still the thing on the AMCA Facebook page, right? ...... when it is not, it will not be visited by those of bike interests primarily. .... and it will fade away. But if it remains strong, then we should remain in support, in view of the asset.

Comment

Working...
                              X