Thanks to Ed Glasgow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Ed Glasgow

I have just finished reading the Editors Inbox in the spring 05 issue. and I say Thank-You to Ed Glasgow cudo's for saying what many members in my chapter have been saying. We have a few members in our chapter that have as many as 5 or six antiques and a late model, one member has 14, and only one late model it seems that the newer bike never needs any attention it's always ready even if it's the everday day daily ridden bike. I was recently elected as VP of my chapter and a director of my chapter. Last night another director and I laughed and had great time talking about the AMCA police and the money it lost out on at Maggie Valley,NC. from members who wanted to pay and join in but because it was for bikes 35 years and older. We did miss out on the Banquet and all that was said at that dinner, But we didn't miss the ride or Dale's Museum or getting to see the old bikes in action, We met folks made friends and enjoyed company of some of the greatest people this country and this club has the priviledge of knowing. I only joined the AMCA almost one year ago I didn't know such a thing even exisisted. I had only seen maybe 5 antiques in my whole life... not an exagerration. I now have a project that is thirty-eight years old I am 43 years old. Our only child is grown and gone now and we finally have some time to get out and get away. Last year we(My wife and I) rode 2,032 miles to Davenport,Ia. and Annamosa,Ia. and back. It was an expeirence that we will never forget. My project most likely will not be ready for a road run this year,But that will not stop us from going and riding if we so desire. To the AMCA Police you are biteing the hand that feeds you. Again Thank-you Ed Glasgow for your letter to the editor.

I can appreciate Ed Glasgow's view on being able to make exceptions for those members who show up to National Road Runs on less than 35 year old motorcycles.

However, I do not particularly want to have to manage to ride an Antique (pre-1930) motorcycle (or even one of the smaller over -35 bikes) on one of these runs and be faced with a lot of riders on large, powerful, late model bikes who appear never to have ridden any older bike and have no idea of the hazards they can present to the AMCA riders who are trying to conform to the published requirements.

There are few enough Runs which cater to the old - and very old - bikes. Indiscriminately letting a lot of modern bikes (V-rods? etc.,) in amongst the old ones is not a good idea - primarily from the safety point of view.

Having been on Ed's Runs, I sympathize with and support his judgement calls.

But letting in modern bikes on the basis that "another director and I laughed and had great time talking about the AMCA police and the money it lost out on at Maggie Valley , NC from members who wanted to pay and join in but because it was for bikes 35 years and older.We did miss out on the banquet and all that was said at that dinner, But we didn't miss the ride or Dale's Museum or getting to see the old bikes in action..." -- In other words, as I understand it, you were not allowed to enter the Maggie Valley National Road Run because of your ineligible modern bike but you as an AMCA member and chapter official went along on that road run anyway and exposed riders of the old bikes to having to deal with you and your modern (V-rod?) motorcycle clogging up the road. Darn nice of you and cheaper for you too, I guess.

Get an over-35 year old motorcycle (and not a pie-wagon) on the road and as the AMCA says "Join in the Fun"

The real Fun.

AFJ

Comment

Well here we go again! Ed THANK YOU VERY MUCH! YOUR RIGHT ON IN MY BOOK!
      As for other comments...I just dont get it I guess Im to old and have been in the club tooooo long...what the hey is the matter whether you have a MC or not isnt it the fact that you have an interest in OLD MCs???? After all I thoiught that was what the club was all about.
      On another note sometimes Id like to go from my home in Maine to lets say western NwYork for a meet,nice to say I drove my 1938 4 there...but to tell you the truth with time constrants ect Id much rather ride my NEW stead !! So does that mean I dont enjoy my old machines as much as my new ones???? I doubt that very much!! Does it mean someone whom chooses to ride and old bike to the meets enjoys that better than me??? For me it boils down to doing what you want when you want,Stop being the POLICE !!!!
      As far as the club needing money as long as the BOARD runs around to meets @ our expense...well I guess we dont have to worry about the need for an increase in dues!!!
      Again these are just the ramblings of an oldman! ENJOY what ever you ride....OLD or NEW

Comment

Just my two cents worth.......possibly one reason for the entries of a National Road Run being 35 years old is due to the general liability insurance policy issued to the Chapter hosting the run. Additionally, we are an antique (35 year) motorcycle club, and again, 2 cents worth, the last thing we need as club members is to dilute our purpose. Outside of participating in the functions provided at a National Road Run, we also must remember they are all held on PUBLIC roads, open to anyone and everything legal to ride/drive on. With regards to the finances of the National, and what the National Officers get reimbursed for, don't be negative about things which you might not fully understand. All of these meets and roadruns consume more time and work than the average member of our club realizes. When i go to a National Meet or Road Run, its all fun. In most instances, someone had to provide lots of time and work which in turn allowed me to have fun at that event. Having been a member for 11 years, and a Past Chapter President hosting 2 National Runs during my tenure, I really feel the current National Officers are doing everything possible to maintain the integrity of our club while promoting growth. As stated, just enjoy the fun!
        No legal warrenty is offered for the opinion stated above
        johnny

Comment

Working...
        X