X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Fred on Euro Vacation story.

My European Vacation
    By Red Fred

In my constant pursuit of "fun with Indians" I predictably booked passage to England for the '04 International Indian Rally. Each country of Europe, contains it's own national Indian Club. I find these clubs unparalled for enthusiasm and spirit. For the last ten years or so, they have volleyed for the honor of hosting the International Rally amongst themselves, this year being awarded to the English clubs (there are actually two clubs on this island, politics you know). Anyway, the site was in Surrey, south of London, about 40 minutes from where I keep a Chief and a Four. Things couldn't be easier; or so it seemed!

Last years Rally was held in Denmark, and was a very precise exercises on how things should run. These guys could have taught the Swiss how to make clocks by the fashion every detail was painstakingly pre-thought and arranged. I enjoyed Denmark emmencely, but experienced it solo as the better half opted to remain at home in fear of cold northern weather patterns. Seems Europe was in a heat wave at the time, and the climate was most co-operative. Dumplin' missed out.

This year however, "she who must be obeyed" had to experience Italy if we were to venture across the pond for any Indian nonscence. No problem, we had enough free miles from the credit card to wing it, and I didn't care enough about me job if they canned me for over extended time off. We were on our way!

I was somewhat intimidated by Italy however, as I hadn't any contacts there. I didn't know too much about the place, and I knew it was going to be the high of there HOT season in July, during our stay. No problem though, as the newly formed AMCA chapter of Europe is made up of some overly enthusiastic members, and I was able to correspond with some before we left.

At first we played tourist, but that got old by the second half of the 1st day without a greasy carburetor for me to play with. I faked it for another day for Herself, but broke down and contacted one of the Euro guys for First Aid. Guido swooped us up and flamboyantly flipped us about Rome to all his cronies who had the same disease as us. It was amazing to see how these collectors dealt with the density and space problems. I'm from San Francisco, which is only seven miles square, and space is at a definite premium. But these guys take the cake. Guido guided us amongst ancient ruins and historical sites to find where fellow collectors have nestled their troves. It was amazing. Not only were easy- to- stash motorcycles part of the parlay, but also many vintage cars. Guido's tour went on and on to hidden garage after another of hidden E type Jags, and Alladans caves of NOS HD parts which kept Italy's Military 45 & Panheads rolling. Observing these Roman collectors plights was quite refreshing after climbing the Dome of St. Peters in the morning, waving back at the Pope, and consuming way too many Gelatos.
    Venice was next, with its alleys of water, and no building under 200 years old. It was a magical place, and I found myself liking it. However roadways of water to not a car or bike let! I whisked Dumplin to the train station for the quickest fare to Bologna, hub of the Italian transportation industry. There we met Pasquale, who panned out to be the major connection for anything motorcycle in Italy. He was just back from the 1st ever AMCA Road Run in Europe, held in Germany. Pasquale ran a tight ship, and already had our itinerary planned. We were immediately whisked off to the museum and headquarters of Mr. Morbidelli, famed designer and tweaker of all GP bikes for the past 30 years.

So we bid farewell to all the movers & shakers of the Italian Antique scene and ventured off on our own in a rented car from Florence. Along the Italian Riviera and the Tuscan Mountains I get accustomed to the Road Rules. There really aren't any! Stop signs are only a suggestion, and where ever there is room, it's OK to pass; either side! I loved it. We got as far north as Lake Como where Chris Craft-like boats were the norm. We felt out of place in such an upper crust atmosphere, but we faked it pretty good. We had a blast.

Back to London Town to check on the Chief. It was a running bike a few years ago, but the ravages of time, and parts lent out to needy riders resulted in a sad lump that definitely wasn't going to make the Rally. There was a Road King in the same garage, so we loaded it up and abused it along the way to the rally; a short 45 mins. away. 4 hours later we finally found Domesday Green (fitting name) and tried unsuccessfully to sneak in with the Brand X land yacht past the ever alert eyes of Fred Du Frene.

Tepees and Totem Poles were abound, and lots of interesting bikes. Over 300 people and some 140 Indian in all. The oldest being a Power Plus sidecar outfit; there were a few, and some were in original paint! Lots of Chiefs, some Fours, an ACE, an X, and a bunch of 741s. A few sport scouts dotted the scene, including Lens original '38 that he bought new! It has now traded hands, but is in a good home with Jeff who also brought his '32 Chief that gathered the best bike of the '30 award. Jeff actually restored the Ace that was in attendance also.

Eddie Bains, who is hard to keep track of, had his trusty ’38 DT on hand, however it seemed like everyone else was driving it. Eddie was busy helping out with the two Brit Indian Clubs that hosted the event. Yes, 2 different Indian Clubs on the same island.

Heart attack- British breakfasts were provided each morning, as well as afternoon cream teas, and home made dinners that were pot=lucked by the club. It actually worked out well, especially since the rally site was held at a Rugby Club that had a full stocked bar.

Fred D. brought the traditional French Picon; an orange liquor that is mixed with beer. It was said that even your hair hurts the next morning. Good thing I don't have much left! Moen was in attendance, and even managed to set up his wares along with Jurgen Hecker in the vending area. Moen offers quite an assortment of special Indian goodies made of Stainless Steel. He also represented King Clutch, Hecker 101, and our very own Old Iron components. Richard Shoenfield displayed his own 4-speed set up that made a lot of sense. He cast his own tranny top, with a better shifting drum. The ratios were more side car friendly, and the cluster rolled on roller bearings. To me the most significant item I detected from all his work were some machined in scoops on the smooth part of the cluster gear that lay between the toothed sections. It was as if he drilled into the gear, then laid the drill bit down to form an inlet scoop for the oil. The rotating cluster actually scooped up oil, forcing it into the counter shaft area. Pretty slick. Richard also had his extra large front brake systems on display, that really need close scrutiny to detect once mounted. They feature BSA Goldstar shoes.

The Globe of Death operated routinely on schedule, and Jurgen Hecker wowed the crowd with his 95% repo 101 Scout. It was gorgeous, and quite the display when parked next to two original paint 101s. There are actually quite a few 101s in Europe. I was somewhat taken back by the number of Chiefs now residing in the UK. eBay has done wonders for the ever enthusiastic scene here.

Each day held a ride out amongst the South England country side through her tree tunneled country lanes. Actually some of my favorite riding, right up there with Scotland, and the Colorado Rockys. Saturday night was livened up by the Swede on the Pink Rat Chief riding naked into the fence, then regrouping and crashing into the dinner table, then re-organizing to attempt riding into the club house/bar area. All in an effort to resemble the Brit Club Full Monty Calender that features its' members in the buff with their bikes. The Swede was made an honorary member.

Good fun, Great people, and plenty of noteworthy Indians. Wish we could do it every weekend.

Thanks Fred! Always enjoy your reports! Great stuff.
    Now for some photos!

Twin DeDoin Bouton engine trike, with unfolding rumble seat in tow. This was an 1895 race vehicle. Damn Hot Rodders!
    Attached Files

Comment

Two of the three 8 valve HDs that reside in Italy. One is original paint! There are duplicates of most bikes in the Battilani collection, as there are His and Hers!
      Attached Files

Comment

Harley JD rig at the collection of Benito Battilani (on the right), our guide Pasquale Mesto is standing next to him. That's me & Regina on the rig.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mrs. Battilani pictured here with her award winning Nimbus Four, and '37 Indian Four. Row of original paint HDs behind her.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey! I only see one 8 valve! FatDog

Comment

Hey Red, I thought you were only an Indian man , what's all this enthusiasm for "brand x" , did you finally see the light?

Comment

Working...
              X