Road Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Tales

Haven't posted in a while, so here goes..... It seems one of the best things about rallies and meets are the great stories and tales of the road that ALL of us have and sometimes share. Our club magazine even has a section that focuses on memorable rides that we have been on. Could we start a forum section on this topic? Good times , bad times, people we have met, places we've been, road side clusters, etc.... just a thought.

Leaky Petes' Dad

Road Tales

A few lookers, but no replies.... HMMMM? Heres' mine.
    A couple years ago my wife and I decided to travel from our home in central Montana down the coast from Seaside to the Red Wood Run in No. Cal. along 101 and on to the Bay area. We had taken delivery of our Road King Classic in Feb. As we were both new to Lucille (I hadn't ridden a road bike for a number of years, Mary had only been a passenger alot of yaers ago) we set about learning the ropes. To make a long storiy shorter, Mary took Lucille for a ride one evening in Apr. and as luck would have it wrapped the bike around a tree (literally).Mary survived with major contusions, no broken bones and all of her teeth (THANK THE LORD). With only about 1800 miles on and a final repair total of $7,800, frame bent, misc. messed up parts. Not to mention medical bills and shot confidence (hers). Our local HD dealer got Lucille back on the road ten days before our scheduled departure. The day we left (early June) we got about 85 miles and it started to snow ... heavily. We only made 200 miles that day and the next morning we awoke to 8 inchs of snow on the machine and 6 inchs on the ground. The city looked like a bomb went off, downed trees wrecks, etc.. We decided to press on and took the interstate as the semis would make ruts in the snow for us to travel in. Two Montana passes with snow and ice later we blew into Ellensburg Wa. that day. This was our SUMMER vacation!!?? Being on a tight schedule we pressed on to the coast the next day. We made Seaside in a biblical deluge. After drying out in the last motel room to be had (it probably still smells like wet leather) adn a much needed steak we left the next day with the sun on us the entire rest of the trip (16 day in all) until we returned to Montana where about 100 miles from home it started to rain and snow on us again and didn't stop until we arrived home. That in a nut shell was our first road trip on Lucille, she is currently 4 years old and we have 38,00 miles on her plus 2 other HDs in the stable. Ain't life Grand!!!

Comment

Working...
    X