South Dakota's oldest motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Dakota's oldest motorcycle

1904 Indian will sell at Wieman Auction in Marion SD, this Friday (apr 10, 2015).
    Owner Cleon Graber died about a year ago, and son Linde is selling it now.
    Cleon and Linde were active together at meets in Farmington, St Paul, Davenport, and nearby Fremont, Neb.
    They vended an exotic collection of spark plugs, tools, pioneer-age stuff.
    Cleon was a curator of the Freeman SD museum, a collector of anything rare, and was an authority (though humble) on many antique items. ... He acquired the 1904 Indian from another South Dakotan near his home.
    The bike has been shown in the Freeman museum.
    Please inquire at the Wieman Auction site about this sale, and any information on Cleon.
    thx for reading

I am not a bidder, but I am curious about what something like that should sell for?

Comment

What it should and what it could and what it will, are three different things. After watching the E.J.Cole auction anybody's guess will be close. To be brutally honest, and we know the old cliche', it is worth what 2 people in the room or world, think it is.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I've been thinking that the local Indian dealers should (should) have the class to keep it in-state, and park it in their showroom window.
        And I think it goes for 50-70k ................I lied: the auctioneer expects 6 digits
        Last edited by fillibuster; 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Do they have a local Indian Dealer in SD?

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
            Do they have a local Indian Dealer in SD?
            Dealerships in Sioux Falls and Sturgis, .. each end of the state.
            Spirit Lake Ia, (where the new Indians are assembled) is only about 80 miles from Sioux Falls. That's another possibly interested party.
            When are these corn cobs gonna grab a gear and get with it??!!

Comment

Sold today, for 100k.
              Beauty of it is, son Linde bid the 100k, to keep it. ..... so it's still in our home turf!
              I'd gone there to take one last look, and take a pic, but here we are!

Linde had given an interview with the auctioneers, disclosed the non-original items, informed us that it never ran for them (but did cough and sputter). Noted a few non-original welds (a neck reinforcement), absence of spark-retard linkage from the right twist-grip, leaky tank, non-original battery pack (that appeared to be fabricated).
              But it still looked great.
              Now I have to check the Iron Redskin to see when first year of cartridge-spring fork came in. This bike has none. Fork is rigid.

Comment

Working...
              X