Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 SECONDS OF FAME AT HOLLYWOOD NORTH (east)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 SECONDS OF FAME AT HOLLYWOOD NORTH (east)

Barry Brown (AMCA Member) was nice enough to forward this story to me. Written for CVMG.
    Thanks Barry, much appreciated! Your famous now eh!

3 SECONDS OF FAME AT HOLLYWOOD NORTH(east)

It all started with a call from that indefatigable collector and friend Tom Wilcock, "Was I interested in a starring role in a potential Hollywood Blockbuster?"...well, those were not exactly the words but it seemed, Tom had received a call from that inveterate California ,wheeler-dealer, Vince Martinico and tinseltown North was in need of a few circa 1929 "police" bikes and riders. I have regretfully turned down similar offers in the past, but here was a chance to make a few bucks and hopefully, have some fun at it.

A phone call to Los Angeles hooked me up with the coordinator of vehicles at "Mels ' Cinema" Technopark, Montreal. It seemed they were just about at the desperate stage. ( yes, I know, why else would I be involved!) As many of us in the old motorcycle world know, there are plenty of circa 1929 motorcycles around, but how many are ready to run at a given notice? Claude Niro of Whitby had already signed on with a beautifully restored 1931 Harley VL and Marcel Lang of Quebec with his 1924 Indian Chief had also been contracted. The bike I had on offer---- my 1929 Brough Superior ss100!

WHOA!! They never had those in California in 1929 did they? Well, I'm not sure if a civilian one was in use there in those days but for sure no California police department used Broughs. However, my bike had a few things going for it which I theorized made it perfect! It sports a derivative of the period Harley fork and has optional twin headlights just as most 1929 and 1930 Harleys did. From the camera's point of view the Brough may end up looking more authentic than the 1931 Harley! (remember the last scene from "Saving Private Ryan", Tom Hanks is propped up dying, against the sidecar wheel of a .... are you ready .. a circa 1980's Dnepr!!!! Ruined the whole movie for me and now the call of fame had me about to commit a similar mercenary sin) $800 a day , plus all expenses and gourmet catering! The van was quickly loaded, bike, tools, gas spare plugs, oil, daughter (she's a big Scorcese fan) . Not knowing the exact studio location we stumbled upon a vacant industrial complex where they were indeed shooting some scenes with a full scale replica of the Spruce Goose! ( Trivia, Howard Hughes co-pilot and flight engineer on it's one and only maiden flight was none other than champion motorcycle racer Joe Petrali!)

Eventually we found the main studio and there, outdoors we stared in awe at the perfect 110% over scale reproduction of Grauman's Chinese Theater circa 1930. Viewing stands opposite topped with 40 feet of neon lettering spelling out "Hells Angels", undoubtedly greatly perplexing two Quebec Provincial Police Officers who happened on the set at 2 o'clock one morning!

The scene, we motorcyclists were in, depicted the opening night of Hughes re-released (it was originally silent) film entitled "Hells Angels" the story of WW1 Cambridge University lads who became heroic fighter pilots. (speaking of which, anyone out there got a Hall Scott or Liberty engine kicking around, there is a speedster in my future... sorry for the diversion!) Back to the scene, Hughes (played by Dicaprio) arrives in a Packard at the opening with his new starlet of the month Jean Harlow (played by Gwen Stefani).

To anyone who has never been on a movie set, the first most impressive aspect is the organization. 600 extras all in period clothing and makeup being groomed in what seemed to be a half mile long air-conditioned tent! Luckily, it was a night shoot as August in Montreal can be hot and although the full police outfit was oppressive I was more worried about the old J.A.P. engine of my Brough idling excessively and overheating. Unfortunately, Marcel seemed to have unending problems with his Chief and I think this is more due to the fact that he was working during the day and then driving to the set each night, an impossible situation.

Two nights we waited for our call and it did not come. Take after endless take of what seemed to me to be the same repetitive scene over and over, I was amazed that unlike my comrades I never grew weary of it all! I stared in fascination as the purple shafts of light from the period carbon arc search lamps lit up the Montreal night, the never ending back and forth rythyms of 40 full classic cars responding to Mr. Scorcese's admonitions or approvals. For 2 nights we waited, our machines gassed up and ready to roll, the frustration broken by the occasional blast around the set, the staccato bark of the big Brough and VL reverberating off the buildings, eventually attracting disapproval and reprimand. Finally out call came and we roared onto the set. It was a stellar moment I'll never forget, the extras were in the viewing stands and they all let out an uproarious cheer as we blipped the throttles and broke the tedium of their night. My overall feeling was of having been transported via time machine or a superb acid trip! Wow!

Neither of our bikes let us down. After the third take I decided to let the Brough idle throughout our stint rather than tempt that evil dooer Joe Lucas. When Mr. Scorcese said cut you could tell how happy he was with each take but the number of times he said it! Claude restarted his VL at each take and on one occasion let out a backfire that according to the chauffeur of the big Packard just about sent DiCaprio and Stephani through the roof. After the ninth take the fantasy was over. The big Brough ran like a fine watch. I would have done it for free I had so much fun. If you ever get the chance for a similar experience my advice is to go for it!

When I first wrote this article it was before I had seen the movie, and as it turns out my" 3 seconds' of fame prediction was bang on. In fact the whole multi million dollar scene was mixed with original footage and comprises what seems to be less than a minute in the film! Out of the 40 or so cars commissioned I think there are only 5 or so in the actual movie and as for those 600 hopefuls, well I think about 30 of them can actually be seen. In spite of this, all you gear heads should see this movie if for no other reason than the flying scenes, they are superb!

The name of the movie is Aviator, and I'll sign off now as I have a date at the Oscars!
    Attached Files

Pho2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pho3
      Chineses theater? Interior of - main truss?
      Attached Files

Comment

Pho4
        Police bikes created with signage.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pho5
          Attached Files

Comment

old bikes in the movies

hi ,glad to see your movie experience was a good one,as alot of you know this is not always the case.i was involved in the filming of JFK. was very impressed to be contacted by oliver stone himself who was in need of 13{yes 13,i should have known it was a bad idea at that}period panhead police bikes for the filming of the assasination scene in deely plaza in dallas.money sounded good,and the many assurances of "safe" filming practices finally conviced us to give it a shot.not to mention i was a big stone fan.so we loaded up and headed to dallas,with 13 prized beauties.the 2 week nightmare started with us taping off the bikes ,and repainting them with this white paint that we were assured would not harm our many original paint jobs at all .then we were introduced to the extras { not trained stunt men}who would be riding our bikes,not starting them though.the very first guy rode his bike out of the garage across a crowded street and rite under an el camino. unfortunatly he didn't die,but walked away while the bike revved to the piont of explosion,and baked the first engine.then the filming began.as many of you know getting 12 panheads started on cue is not so easy,especially when only 2 people know how to actually start them{my knee still hurts when its cold}.of course as soon as we got them all running in the 90 degree dallas days,we were told to wait,and wait ,and wait,this fried the second motor the second day.and of course us damn bikers were blamed for holding up the shoot. i have to give credit to the 10 or so pans that survived 2 weeks of this torture,including the one that some crew member decided to take off on overnight and give his girlfriend a fun ride.needless to say all the original paint jobs were ruined in the process. the shoot got done though,with our bikes and quite a few very nice early cars,and a lot of heated arguements,and threats on both sides .i should also give credit to the one rider who was actually a motorcycle cop in dallas ,and took it on himself to learn how to ride and start his tank shift model,and also the actress who played jackie was totally hot.we also got to beat the piss out of a bunch of sweet old cars.it was alot of fun and seeing the motorcade and the shooting was very much like being there when it actually happened,like reliving history. most of the pans will never be the same and alot were eventually sold off as baskets,and the movie kinda ****ed.i learned a lot .

Comment

I had heard stories similar to yours beforehand , so was adamant about not letting anyone else ride my bike even though that was their original persistant request. If it had not been a night shoot I also would have fried the engine from excessive idling.

Comment

Working...
              X