Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pan drive line. Will be interesting to see what this goes for!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pan drive line. Will be interesting to see what this goes for!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...US_motorcycles

fishing trip.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Weird VIN???

Comment

The chopper guys may bid. No collector will. Too funky! Bad numbers, way incorrect parts for '48.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I really feel that this type of crap belongs on Buzz's forum, not here. I always looked at this forum as a higher standard. Just an opinion. Bob L
          Last edited by Robert Luland; 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM.
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hi Bob, This engine might be crap to you, but as one who has been trying to find an antique HD to build and play around with for the past several years, what I have found is that owning an old HD has turned into a rich mans sport. With panhead's starting in the mid teens for a non original, chopped, mismatched motorcycle are getting out of my reach. Even old 45 flatty's are selling in the low to mid teen's and up. A Knuckle head engine on ebay was up to $11.600 today and a knuckle frame was 10.000. Can't blame people for selling their parts for what people are willing to pay but this is getting out of hand. Also it is getting harder to trust people selling antique bikes with all the fraud with changing numbers and unusable parts. AMCA has been trying to get young people interested in antique bikes but they might have to rethink how to attract new blood with the prices we are seeing. I guess there is always the HD Sprints until they jump in price. I am here for the great information that is shared on this forum. Robbie and many others here have shared a wealth of info that I have learned much from. As I look for parts or bikes and seek info from the knowledgeable folks on this forum, I will try to keep the crap parts/bikes to a minimum. I am not looking for a 100 point show bike. This of course is just my humble opinion and no disrespect is meant to you sir or anyone else on this forum. Thanks for all the great input and advise you give to the new guys. Please keep it up.
            Last edited by harley1; 02-18-2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I've started with worse...although the VIN is trouble, right off the bat (besides the flaky stamps) the cases are FL with an EL number as indicated by the 7's stamped on the rear halves near the rear motor mount bolts.
              I helped a "20 something" year old build this pan over the past year or so...only things we used were the motor, Trans and oil tank...here's a before and after.

Photo2235.jpgPhoto6411.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                I've started with worse...although the VIN is trouble, right off the bat (besides the flaky stamps) the cases are FL with an EL number as indicated by the 7's stamped on the rear halves near the rear motor mount bolts.
                I helped a "20 something" year old build this pan over the past year or so...only things we used were the motor, Trans and oil tank...here's a before and after.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14633[/ATTACH]
                Nice job you both did with the pan, great to see someone of that age having an interest in old stuff.....The seed has been planted....
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Harley1,

Don't give up hope there still out there look at what Hollywood helped a young guy re-do find a chopper with a good portion of correct parts and go from there. I have seen pans go for the 6500. 7500 range in the local papers and on craigs list yes all needing some help but do what I did sell off the chopper stuff to get the things that I needed.

Looking at the photos again the VIN # motor and paper don't match, look closer at the first number on the motor and on the title.............
                  Last edited by Chuck#1848; 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Thanks Chuck! Great work Hollywood. Thanks for helping a young guy get started. I will try to get to some swap meets this summer. That's the style I would like to build. A nice rider.
                    Last edited by harley1; 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

I think most any bike can still be built from parts. I got my 1919 Henderson in 1989 and it sat for 12 years before I did anything to it. I did collect parts during that time but I also built quite a few other bikes in those 12 years. I don't like having a project drag on for that long but it wasn't an easy bike to do, and certainly not easy to find parts for. The great thing about that bike was all the people I met, and the learning process was priceless. I like having long term projects that are challenging, and become an adventure in networking with people with similar interests, and a treasure hunt for super rare parts. My '48FL started as a pair of gas tanks and grew from there. Sure, it may be more expensive now, but what the hell, I can't think of anything better to do
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

PICT5388.jpgPICT5390.jpgmy 57p.jpgmy 57.jpg

Harley1,

This is what I brought home and where I am at now
                        Last edited by Chuck#1848; 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM.
                        Chuck
                        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Bobbers are great to ride, and never go out of style.
                          VPH-D

Comment

Chuck, Great job you are doing there. Looks like the frame cleaned up nice. Keep up with the pictures if you get the chance.
                            I have always liked the bobbers.

Comment

I belive the first # is a 6, the restamp just wasn't done very well. It's the same stamp used on the next # which is 9, just not deep enough. IMO.

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                              Looking at the photos again the VIN # motor and paper don't match, look closer at the first number on the motor and on the title.............
                              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                              X