VIN nubers on cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN nubers on cases

Hello. Was wondering if somebody could clear up a question I have about VIN number pictures, specifically over the internet. I've noticed some people show pictures of VINs on bikes being sold, whether it be on ebay, craigslist or even on here, and some people don't, or some will show only a portion, such as 48WL25XX, where they cover the last two or never disclose this in descriptions. I've seen very opinionated people against any kind of pictures of VIN numbers who say somebody will immediately go stamp that specific VIN on another case. What is a typical protocol for VIN number disclosure and what can people really do with a picture of a VIN that has a clear title? Thanks for your input.

some feel safer with just a few numbers showing. kind of like a lock on your front door. it keeps the honest people out. when you see just a number or two it's to show the fonts are original not a re stamp. it's probably a pia to steel a bike with just a photo of the vins. but if the bike has high value the pia. factor goes down. Someone may never get you bike from using a duplicate tittle.but think of the court battle that could go on and on after a person says that bike is mine. i dont want to spend thousands to defend something i already own. Be safe dont some them.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I agree, Rob, why take the chance. I bought a VL basket over the internet that showed the VIN deep in the pictures, had a state patrol buddy run the number and nothing showed up. As soon as I got the engine I went to the court house and obtained a new title for the engine with no problems. Strikes my curiosity if anyone has had any issues with anything like this.

Comment

Doesn't bother me at all to show my vin#s, plus as a buyer I would never buy a bike without seeing the vin, that is just me however, I know there are folks that don't like to show them, thanks, Larry

Comment

Why would anybody alter a number in these times? If someone decided, for some reason, to restamp a case why use a number that they know someone else will have? Makes no sence. Paranoia about showing a number is silly. Todays LEO's can find out in no time if a number is forged or not. NATB and H-D will supply them with all the information they need.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I've only purchased one basket case over the internet and I would not have purchased it without seeing that VIN and running it through the system. I also don't understand why somebody would copy the same VIN and somehow restamp it to another engine, especially if the bike they're copying is clearly titled. I've seen a lot of people hammer others for showing their VIN and that's why I wanted to get some feedback on here. Thanks guys.

Comment

. it's not about having two bikes with the same vin. yes that would be stupid. Here is what you guys don't see. Most of these bikes are sold with a bill of sale or no papers at all.just a pile of parts. what happens when i take your vin from the internet. I run with those numbers to the state tittle office. then i get a tittle for your bike in my name.Now i tell the cops you stole my bike. That"s right my bike i have a tittle and you don't. If people can swim a river and get a drivers license without papers do you want to take a chances somebody can get a tittle with an internet photo? It's not paranoia it's being careful.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                . it's not about having two bikes with the same vin. yes that would be stupid. Here is what you guys don't see. Most of these bikes are sold with a bill of sale or no papers at all.just a pile of parts. what happens when i take your vin from the internet. I run with those numbers to the state tittle office. then i get a tittle for your bike in my name.Now i tell the cops you stole my bike. That"s right my bike i have a tittle and you don't. If people can swim a river and get a drivers license without papers do you want to take a chances somebody can get a tittle with an internet photo? It's not paranoia it's being careful.
                Golly Rob,

My Illinois State Police will not issue a "lost" title without the entire, running machine presented for inspection,...
                ...And that's after jumping through other hoops, including a paper trail, and a surety bond.

.....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I completely understand that, Rob, but like Illinois, everything has to be inspected to obtain a title in Colorado and they practically use a fine tooth comb before they sign off on things here. The days of playing the tricks with a bill of sale might be few and far between now but a crook is a crook, right? Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Simple, if they don't show you the vin, don't buy it

Comment

Working...
                    X