This has to be some kind of record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has to be some kind of record

A 1959 harley duo-glide owned by jerry lee lewis sold for 350K at mecum auction.

https://www.mecum.com/results.cfm

$38 million for a Ferrari GTO last August, $1 million plus for Captain America Chopper, $4 million for a Bus last week at Barrett-Jackson. Nothing suprises me any more, but it does makes you wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
      A 1959 harley duo-glide owned by jerry lee lewis sold for 350K at mecum auction.

https://www.mecum.com/results.cfm
      According to the "Vintagent" website the highest confirmable price paid for an old motorcycle is the $551,200 paid for a Cyclone boardtrack racer some years ago. I understand that the $1.62 million sale of the "Captain America" bike did not go through and that there have been other such non-sales after the hammer - or maybe they were really (as some have suggested) "bids from the chandelier".

Prices paid privately are, of course, unconfirmed. There have been rumours of a special Vincent sold for a million dollars and the rumour (current some years ago) of the SS100 Brough Superior on which Lawrence of Arabia had his, eventually fatal, accident being offered for sale at 2 million pounds sterling and the owner turning down an offer from a wealthy American collector of one million pounds sterling or $1.6 million US.

A lot of dough for second-hand motorcycles. It suggests that the provenance or history of a particular motorcycle, or item, and its previous owner, if famous, has a lot to do with the price which bidders will pay. Many years ago at an auction of the late Steve McQueen's desert retreat, an ordinary toilet in the washroom went for over $500.

AFJ

Comment

I can tell you 100% for sure that the Lawrence of Arabia bike sits in the Imperial War Museum in London. I have seen it with my own eyes and have pics of it!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA #12766

Comment

There was a story a few years back of an early 60s Honda Race bike selling for $4 million-private sale in japan
          4 million dollars not yen-i sold a Knuck for 4 million yen!

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
            I can tell you 100% for sure that the Lawrence of Arabia bike sits in the Imperial War Museum in London. I have seen it with my own eyes and have pics of it!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA #12766
            The 1932 Brough Superior SS100 GW2275, the bike on which Lawrence had his fatal accident was on display in the Imperial War Museum from 2005 until early in 2013 when the Museum was closed for display changes for a 2014 World War One exhibition, which opened last year. In 2013 the Lawrence bike was returned to its owner who had loaned it to the Museum originally for a 2005-2006 exhibit on Lawrence which marked the 70th anniversary of Lawrence's death in 1935.

AFJ

Comment

That could be as I was there in the fall/Sept. of 2013 when I saw it. It was definitely there then though and I did take pics of it. It was in a glass case against a wall so you couldn't get pics of the left side of the bike and it was in the WW1 section.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA #12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                That could be as I was there in the fall/Sept. of 2013 when I saw it. It was definitely there then though and I did take pics of it. It was in a glass case against a wall so you couldn't get pics of the left side of the bike and it was in the WW1 section.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                AMCA #12766
                Interestingly, of the eight Brough Superiors associated with Lawrence, who was legally Thomas Edward Shaw, and signed that name on his Brough registration cards, three are still known to exist.
                Lawrence referred to them as George I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII. In a book he wrote entitled "The Mint" he also gave George IV the nickname "Boanerges".
                The known survivors are George IV (reg#XX7646), George VI (reg#UL656) and George VII (reg#GW2275.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
                X