Barrett Jackson -- Anyone watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett Jackson -- Anyone watching?

So far, I've spent about $900,000. In my imagination.

Not much for bikes (Straptank coming up Sat night... we'll see how authentic...) But the cars are spectacular and, well, it doesn't have to be a bike to be fun.

Note to self... pick up a Powerball Ticket tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have and I love seeing all those great cars and other wild weird vehicle in one place. Going to this is one of my bucket list items. Kind of a lot of hype on the tv but I would love to be there. Can't wait to the see the Ron Pratt collection roll across the block. Looks like he even has a few really nice bikes too!! Wish I had the money a room for some of that stuff!!!!

Tom ( Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

I and some friends stopped over there the other day. Lots of eye candy for sure. Oodles and oodles of Camaros, Mustangs, Chevelles, T-Birds, Vettes, Hemis, etc. Also lots of exotic older stuff. Saw the Indian4 and the 07 HD. Not and expert on either but they both appeared pretty nice although maybe a little "over restored". A huge tent with vendors peddling their various wares- anything from shoes to slot machines to jewelry to rare coins. Lots of art and sculpture, even some new Steinway pianos for over $100,000. An exhausting day spent with some friends and a good day of entertainment but that's about all. Can't say that I saw or learned anything that made my life any better.

Comment

Always interesting to watch some of this. Along with some of the cars that bring big shake-your-head-in-disbelief $$$$ there are others not in the mainstream collectability that are killer deals going very inexpensively. Cars that couldn't be restored or built for a fraction of the selling price and often these are not the auctions that get air time on TV. Of course you still have 10% buyer premiums on top of sale price as well as the $400-$500 bidders fee just to get in and bid.
        BJ gets some bad publicity in the car world for artificially inflating values due to numerous bidders with very deep pockets entertaining themselves. Though there may be a downside, I think overall BJ is good for keeping the classic and antique car enthusiasm pumping and the many small businesses that support the industry going strong.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I was watching I think on Tuesday and wonder if anyone else feels like I do. I saw a bunch of what they call Resto-Mods and they were not really anything special as far as cars that are rare or low number production vehicles. Prices on some of these cars were hitting the $150,000 to 200,000 dollar mark? Personally I think these cookie cutter cars are all overpriced. Go buy a ratty non matching number project 63-67 Corvette for 20 to 30 grand and put 50 grand in it and now it is worth $150K?? But take a nice original 1953 Chief or a nice running fairly original 1946 Knucklehead and ask 30 for it and nobody in the USA can afford it? Or can't see paying that much? How about some of the skirted Indian 4's that only bring 40 to 50K? Considering how few of those are left and how rare they are they should be going for twice that amount IN MY OPINION. I do have to admit I have not yet looked at the Las Vegas Bike Auction results to see what went for what. But I never really feel that Motorcycle Auction Results give a true picture of of what something is really worth. 46EL

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
            IBut take a nice original 1953 Chief or a nice running fairly original 1946 Knucklehead and ask 30 for it and nobody in the USA can afford it? Or can't see paying that much? How about some of the skirted Indian 4's that only bring 40 to 50K? Considering how few of those are left and how rare they are they should be going for twice that amount IN MY OPINION. I do have to admit I have not yet looked at the Las Vegas Bike Auction results to see what went for what. But I never really feel that Motorcycle Auction Results give a true picture of of what something is really worth. 46EL
            AMEN! It seems that the Japanese have better insight in the value of such bikes than most Americans, it is sad to say. It is at the point, and has been for several years, that when a dealer in the antique bikes finds a nice unrestored or as-ridden antique motorcycle with "the look" that the dealer will not even bother putting it out for sale in the US, not even on Ebay. The dealer will just contact his contacts in Japan and Poof! it is gone, never to see these shores again.

When I see the price some of the overdone barges (aka baggers) sell for, with their 30" front wheel and overdone stereo and the busiest paint scheme possible, I don't know whether to cringe or just shrug my shoulders. Soon enough those buyers will end up selling only to find, as with the big tire choppers so popular among the masses awhile back, that the bike will only sell for what the drivetrain is worth. Their money would be much better spent in a vintage bike, they are just too blind to see.

Oh...just my opinion also.
            Lonnie Campbell #9908
            South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I know of a few friends and a family member who spend stupid money (40-50K plus) on a custom bikes 10-15 years ago and I warned all of them about doing it.
              They all had a DMV assigned VIN Number and no Insurance Compay wanted to Insure them yet alone for what the had invested in them when they were done.
              After a few years when they got tired they tried selling them for HALF of what they had tied up and nobody got back anywhere near what they put out and forget the labor they invested.
              I had offered one friend my 47FL older restoration at that time for $18,500 and he laughed at me.
              I ended up selling that bike for that amount through an ad in the Club magazine.
              If he had kept it and enjoyed it his initial investment would have doubled over the last 15 years.
              See if you can do that in a bank today at 1 or 2% interest? 46

Comment

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/
                Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by 23JDCA 808 View Post
                  Chicago's "Make Me Smile"! Thanks Bill Gilbert! That's a whole lotta wow!
                  and that's what we're talking' about!

Comment

Working...
                  X