1919 Military Convoy pics and serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1919 Military Convoy pics and serial numbers

I received an email from a non subscriber who thought there may be some interest in the links attached

I do not need to register for the board, but I came across some interesting
    1919 Indian serial numbers. Apparently, some new Indian (and Harley
    Davidson) motorcycles and sidecars were part of the US army convoy which
    drove across the nation from Washington DC to San Francisco in the summer of
    1919, before even the Lincoln Highway. The serial numbers of the motorcycles
    are listed on page 9 of the document located at

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/r...n_to_Moody.pdf

(Eisenhower, as a young lieutenant colonel, was attached to this 1919 convoy
    at the very last minute. No wonder that almost 40 years later, he was such
    a proponent of the interstate highway system, after this two month ordeal!)

I thought these old Indian serial numbers might be useful, in case any of
    these cycles survived. I would certainly love to know it, if a vintage
    Indian had made such a journey and survived today! I do not know if there
    is any centralized repository or database of vintage Indian serial numbers
    where I should send these. In any event, the report itself is fascinating
    in the descriptions of the various vehicles used - aside from the
    motorcycles, there was everything from new Cadillacs and Packards to chain
    drive Mack trucks.

If you think it might be helpful, perhaps you could also forward this link
    to the appropriate antique Harley Davidson person?

I should add that while I linked one report with serial numbers, all the Eisenhower records and photos I found are linked at -

http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/r...19_convoy.html

This page includes links to several cycle photos during the convoy

I hope this is useful,

Cordially,
    [Name removed]
    --------------------------------

Thanks for posting this very interesting information.

The 5 H-Ds appear to have been 2 1919 model F bikes with sidecars, 1 1919 model F solo and 2 privately owned 1919 Sport flat twins which, from the comments in the report seem to have been better fitted to the dusty and muddy conditions encountered due to the enclosed chain cases and more dust-proof carburetors.

The indians were all sidecar equipped Powerplus twins. Of the 3 Army bikes, 2 were 1919 models one was a 1918 model, which is listed as "carried as cargo". there was also 1 private Indian sidecar-equipped bike. No serial # was recorded for the private Indian sidecar outfit.

AFJ

Comment

There is a professor out in Kansas who has researched this expedition really thoroughly and has some great articles published. Some can be found around the Web. If I can dig them out, I'll post them.

The story is pretty phenomenal. At the time, it would have been faster to take a cavalry troop across the U.S. On Horses. In fact, this was done in the late 1930's... and still beat the Eisenhower's time. But it gave the country a great wake-up call... and the Lincoln Highway. And when Eisenhower saw the Autobahn system in Germany... he had his impetus for the Defense Highway System -- today's Interstates. One of my big Masters' papers was on the genesis of the Autobahn's. Ended up reading a couple of dozen fascinating books on highway history before writing it. Anyone who wants the reading list (or the paper...) drop me a PM!

Great post. There is a tremendous amount of interesting history associated with our highways.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
      X