1947 tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 tanks?

I've come across these tanks. I was told they are 1947 knucklehead. There seems to be confusion on my end. Good friends are telling me there not, but havnt told me what they are. Can anyone look at these and help a Brutha out. Let me see if I can load up some pics, as I'm new to this whole thing. If im doing something wrong by posting this please let me know. Thanks everyone!!
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So are they Panhead? Are they 1/2 knuckle, 1/2 Panhead?
    Last edited by Chopper230; 12-02-2014, 08:16 PM.

look like 47 Knuckle to me...here are a set of 48 - 50 quick check...pan you can fit 4 fingers between lower tank mount and fuel line nipple as in these pics Knuckle is 3 fingers... get-attachment (19).jpgget-attachment (20).jpgPanhead tanks

Comment

upon further inspection the left tank should not have that indent (if Knuckle) near the mounting stud underneath for the rear head. that would be a Pan left side.
      in my opinion...

Comment

Wow that would be a bummer. They were listed as correct 47 tanks with original paint. So, if Panhead what year are we looking at here? I really wanted 47 tanks for the 47 knucklehead we have over here. And now I'm wondering what kind of modifications id have to do to the frame. I'm not happy about that at all, in fact that ain't gonna fly. I don't like messing with perfection,in my book. Just saying.
        Feeling duped and mislead
        Chopper230
        Last edited by Chopper230; 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Wow that would be a bummer

Originally posted by Chopper230 View Post
          Wow that would be a bummer. They were listed as correct 47 tanks with original paint. So, if Panhead what year are we looking at here? I really wanted 47 tanks for the 47 knucklehead we have over here. And now I'm wondering what kind of modifications id have to do to the frame. I'm not happy about that at all, in fact that ain't gonna fly. I don't like messing with perfection,in my book. Just saying.
          Feeling duped and mislead
          Chopper230

Here's what he just sent me

Not the shifter side but the other side, the right side, that is what everyone always has to have the measurement on...the gas line fitting is in a different spot on 1947 and older tanks. The 1948 and newer Panhead tanks...Harley moved this nipple further away from the frame mount tab. You can see this measurement in one of my pictures. Anyway, this right side tank is correct for 1947 Knucklehead one year only and anyone that says different does not know what they are talking about. You might want to get a few more experts opinions. As far as the left side tank goes (the shift gate side), this tank could be used on 1947 through 1950. Rest assure that i stand behind everything that i sell and if you are not 100% happy with anything you ever purchase from me, returning for a full refund is never a problem.

Comment

So yes you are right and thank you. What do you think these tanks should go for? In your opinion, I know it's just your opinion. And how can someone claim original paint if there two different year tanks?

Comment

Mismatched pair, Knuckle right and Panhead left. ( the same colors were offered both years). They will work just fine together no matter what frame they are bolted to. The right tank is correct for gas line location and indentation. The left is indented for Panhead clearance. It is possible some very late '47s came with indented tanks, but examples are indented on both sides.
              Pictured is a 47 Knuckle left tank
              Attached Files
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you Hollywood and Rubone. Do you think having a mismatched pair lessens the value of the overall project, or is it considered commonplace?

Comment

Not that....

Originally posted by Chopper230 View Post
                  Thank you Hollywood and Rubone. Do you think having a mismatched pair lessens the value of the overall project, or is it considered commonplace?
                  Not that that will ever matter I'll never sell it. I'm giving it to my son so, I'm just thinking about him

Comment

They might be mis-matched but I have also seen them on mostly original bikes before so I would not be throwing them out just yet. I personally feel that HD offered 2 types of tanks in 1947 - yours being the later type. I have nothing to back this up but observations.

Jerry

Comment

I agree with Jerry. They certainly could have retooled in 47 in prep for the Panheads and used these on late 47s. I've seen early right side 48 tanks with the fuel fitting moved out from the knuckle position (see attached pic), so you never know how those transitions went...not to mention the tank could have been damaged and replaced by the dealer...
                      Pan Tank early 48.jpg

Comment

Hollywood, that picture says to me that Harley had X amount of older tanks going into the 48 production and was hell bent on making sure they got used. Bob L
                        AMCA #3149
                        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The fitting was moved before the back was welded on, so they didn't actually have made up tanks...
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So maybe they had 500 outer skins they didn't want to junk? There's a reason that they went though the trouble to patch up a hole and put in a new one. They were cheap bastards. Stampings are expensive. Everything got used at Harley Davidson.
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                              I agree with Jerry. They certainly could have retooled in 47 in prep for the Panheads and used these on late 47s. I've seen early right side 48 tanks with the fuel fitting moved out from the knuckle position (see attached pic), so you never know how those transitions went...not to mention the tank could have been damaged and replaced by the dealer...
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]14274[/ATTACH]
                              I have a right side tank just like this one shown with the blanked-off knuckle positioned nipple that came with my VERY low VIN 48 Panhead. I assumed that they were producing a tank that could be made into either style during production. It is definitely factory. I've seen at least two other tanks just like it at swap meets.
                              Mark
                              Mark Masa
                              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                              X