1918 indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 indian

Need some direction on finding some books on the restoration of a 1918 indian. Only books i found are for 1930's and up. Thanks.

1918 indian

Need to find restoration books for a 1918 indian. Only books i found were for 1930's and up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I think you're largely on your own. There are parts books, but Indian repair manuals, or guides are non-existant for that vintage. Mechanically, the motor and transmission are very basic, and standard engine building practice will serve you well. When it comes to restoring old motorcycles, finding parts is the most difficult aspect, and particularly, sheet metal, and frame parts. What in particular are you needing to know?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. All the parts are there. A friend started the restoration but took ill and can't finish the project. I might need some help in the assembly process. I am going to see the bike next week and get a feel of what needs to be done. I restored a 1950 harley 45,so I do have the knowledge of a restoration. Bikes of this early age are a different breed.

Comment

If you want to familiarize yourself with that era of motorcycle technology, there were quite a few general motorcycling manuals written then. They contain plain English explanations of motors and ignition systems, so could be of help. There is a good list here:http://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/201...-how-to-books/ Many of the books on this list can be found fairly cheaply on ebay or the used book sites abebooks or alibris.

I was going to recommend The Vintage Motorcyclist's Workshop by Radco, but it seems to be out of print already and prices are stratospheric. Jeff Clew's Restoration of Vintage and Thoroughbred Motorcycles is more affordable, if a little less technical. Last but certainly not least is a reprint of almost 700 pages written in 1920 about American motorcycles.http://store.doverpublications.com/0486436713.html Early Motorcycles: Construction, Operation and Repair, by Victor Page. (Edit:I took a peek inside and there are photos and drawings of the internals of Indian motorcycles, probably useful in re-assembly.)

It's also quite possible that some Indian experts will come along on this forum and offer their advice. There are some very knowledgeable folks on the AMCA Facebook page, but there is also a giant crowd of FancyBook hangers-on, so don't act on any advice there until you figure out who is who. ;-)
          Last edited by fciron; 10-22-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I sent you a PM (private message.)
            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I don't know how to retrieve a private message. E Mail me at rvajda@sbcglobal.net. Thank you for your time and for answering my post.

Comment

Thank you for the info. Will check out the websites.

Comment

Working...
                X