So who is riding on the Cannonball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who is riding on the Cannonball?

Just wondering. One of my neighbors is doing it and is working to get his bike through the last details. I know he is sweating it, but I am sure he will have the ride of a lifetime!

Who else is going? Is someone going to be posting pictures and progress here each evening? Would love to follow the route.

For all those doing it, best of luck and ride safe!!! It's a really cool event and brings out some amazing machines and riders. Doubt I'll ever do it... at least not before I can get out of the shop for the time needed. But I'll be there in spirit.

Cheers and have a blast!

Sirhr

I like keeping track of their progress, it's great fun. I well probably never do it, but get a real kick out of it. I have rode out and met up with them on the first two Cannonballs and hope to again this time. Hopefully in the Moab area of Utah, I like catching them out on the open road away from crowds. I was saddend to read just today that Slo Joe well not be in the run this year. I was wondering how his belt drive HD build was going with much interest.

Comment

The Cannonball web site has a list of all riders and their machines. Fred.
      Fred Davis AMCA #9176

Comment

morn n Sirhr, there will probably be quite a few places to catch updates. if you d care to this is a deal my brother got going for this one and the last Cannonball. shows the build since last Dec. to date and my wife will be updating it daily during the run. I understand the time off to do it. prior to the 2012 run I had never taken that much time off including back surgery. its expensive but a hoot.
        type in gww57.com to search. thanks gary
        gww57.com

Comment

We will once again have live updates from the Cannonball in the News area of the AMCA website. Organizer Lonnie Isam has offered me the opportunity to drive one of the sweep vehicles as I have in the past, and I'll be doing my best to post a story and photos every night/early morning. Sometimes the days can get a little long, and being in the sweep truck means I'm guaranteed to be the last guy in each night, so the schedule for posting stories can be a little variable, but it usually work out that I can get a story every day.

In the next few days we'll have a preview story posted in the News area that will show the entire route and list all of the designated stops where you can meet up with the riders either at lunch or at the end of the day's ride. There are at least one of these stops where the public can catch up with the Cannonball nearly every day. If you're anywhere near the route, I think Tom will tell you that it that it's a lot of fun to meet up with many of your fellow AMCA members in the midst of a great adventure.

Bill Wood

Comment

Fantastic, Bill! Have a great time!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

You bet Bill, right on glad to hear it. I well be looking for your updates and hope to see ya again on the road. It is a real thrill meeting the folks on their great adventure.

Comment

And not to play any favorites... but my friend Richard Duda is riding his Henderson on the Cannonball and I really want him to do great!

Cheers and great luck to all, especially you, Duda!

Sirhr

Comment

The Cherokee Chapter is going all out with Cannonball and daily updates will be posted on www.cherokeeamca.org, Go online and read the latest news letter. Chapter Members will have a cluster of 12 J-JD's 1 R, and one Henderson. Chapter Webmaster Greg McFarland will be riding his 1926 JD, Road Run chairman Jon Neuman 1928 JD (DR. J), AMCA Youth Director Buck Carson 1936 R, and his Father Mike Carson on 1924 J, Steve Simpson 1929 JD, Scott Byrd 1931 V, David Lloyd 1919 J, Head up the Carson Classic Team of 8 riders and 8 support crew, with Jesse Law JD/ VL mechanic and Me, Shelby Withrow, Truck Driver/ Machinist, Steve Norton Crew Chief from UK, David King, Driver, Bob Huffman, Driver, Theresa Prosser, Treasurer, Paul Esler from Texas and Ivan Brown of UK round out the support crew.

Mike Bell will again ride his JD, Peter Reeves of UK is scheduled to ride along, Clyde Crouch will again ride with his Henderson, Robert (Big Swede) Gustavsson, from DFW area on 1931 VL, Rowdy Schenck on 1928 J from Carlsbad NM, and the list grows.

The Cherokee Chapter Members donated over raised over $8100 in a week to support the effort of the Carson Team, Our Chapter along with the Confederate Chapter who Supported the Carson team in 2012 Cannonball, are showing how regional Chapters can work together to Support our members in this non AMCA event. I may have left some one off list, mark it up to stress of getting ready to leave for Daytona. Shelby Withrow, Membership and Events Director, Cherokee Chapter

Comment

Our 2014 Cannonball preview story is now posted in the News section of the AMCA website (click here). If you're not familiar with this 17-day, cross-country antique motorcycle adventure, organized by fellow AMCA member Lonnie Isam, this will give you a bit of background to get you ready for the ride, which begins Friday, Sept. 5, in Daytona Beach, Florida, and runs 4,000 miles to the finish, Sept. 21 in Tacoma, Washington.

And if you want to catch up with the Cannonball ride in person, check out our "Follow the Cannonball" story, which lists all 21 scheduled stops on the way from coast to coast. Find a location in your part of the country and come out to support many of your fellow AMCA members on their cross-country challenge.

We'll have live updates from the road starting as soon as I get down to Daytona late next week.

Bill Wood

Comment

Bill
                      If Joe does not show Iv'e just realized Shinya and I are the only pre-16 on the run. Not wishing to speak for Shinya but do you think we could have a 3 day start on these rocketships?
                      Looking forward to your good work and words and seeing everybody in Florida.
                      Note.. The California "Iron Dinosaur Racing Team" is already approaching Florida.
                      Victor

Comment

I sure hope Shinya has better luck this time, got to hand it to him. That never give up attitude, I am pulling for him and all the others!

Comment

Victor:

I think a three-day head-start sounds only fair--that means you're headed out from Daytona tomorrow, right?

I think it would be great if two pre-16 bikes were able to complete every mile.

Bill

Comment

Bill and Tom
                            Tom, I agree with you about Shinya, I think he must stand a good chance of finishing much better this year, maybe a win. I'm thinking, like me, and for Shinya, the prize is the journey.
                            Yes Bill, it would be great if with many others the pre-16 could make the whole run.
                            Changed my mind about head start day, I'm in Georgia doing a fast run up to Columbus.
                            Who knows maybe Joe will show and really make it interesting.
                            See you soon
                            victor

Comment

Looks like Shinya and a couple others are already having trouble, reading their blogs. Wishing you guys all the best, ride safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X