Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a new member - and '46 Indian Search

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm very excited to join this group - I've read through quite a few threads and have sampled some of the great articles in your magazine. My name is Chris, I'm 32 years old, and have literally had a wrench in my hand since I was brand new ... As I'm sure many you will identify; my typical restoration begins as a hapless old machine whether it be a truck, car, drill press, etc. and I work towards making it functional, correct, and possibly shiny. To the point here - I've had two mid-sixties Triumph motorcycles, restored them, rode the heck out of them, and unfortunately (since life happens) sold them. For the past six years; however, I've been on a search (actually more of a quest) to find my great-grandfather's 1946 Indian Chief. As a young father, my dad sold the bike when I was only 3 as he desperately needed a little extra cash for his new family. Fast forward to 2008 when I was going through an old filing cabinet given to me by my dad and I happened upon all of the original Indian paperwork; the bill of sale, insurance information, insurance cards, payment book, manual, Rider's manual, etc. Of course I always heard stories about the Indian but never realized he kept all of this information, it was kinda cool! I found pictures of my g-grandfather on the bike with my dad when he was a kid; really neat stuff. I set off to find the machine with nothing more than the engine number and vin. Luckily the state of PA was really generous with information and gave me the name and contact information of the person who last registered the bike. I won't go on ad nauseum here, but I was able to track the bike up until approximately 2000 when the trail ran cold. I've included some information below and am hoping that this group might be able to help me in my search. Ultimately I'd love to locate the bike and chat with the current owner, my dream would be to discuss a potential purchase as I'm finally in a position to acquire such a bike. I appreciate your time reading this lengthy post, and hope you'll read a little further...

MOTORCYCLE SPECIFICS

Model: 1946 Indian Chief
    Engine Number: CDF3600 B
    Frame Number: 3463600
    Color: Black
    Last Known Owner Info: John Dufilie (Former AMCA judge) of North Stonington, CT restored this bike during the winter of 1993 and it made its rounds in the AMCA circuit winning quite a few awards. It was the featured bike (on the front cover) of Old Bike Journal in March of 1998. Some time around 2000 or so, John unfortunately passed and the bike was sold as part of an estate sale and that is where the trail ran cold.

Again, really excited to join your organization, and even more excited at the prospect of potentially finding this great motorcycle! Christopher

Chris
    last I heard John's widow (Sharon) was in South New Jersey. perhaps she knows who the current owner is
    good luck
    Kevin Valentine 13
    EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Good Morning Kevin,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion Kevin! I spoke with Sharon at length a few years back and she was incredibly kind, helpful, and provided: pictures of the restoration, finished pictures, a copy of the Old Bike Journal, and a lot of information about John and his determination to take his bikes to 100 point levels. Unfortunately when the assets were being sold, the motorcycles went in groups and she was unable to provide any information about the buyer(s). Given the circumstances at the time, I imagine those items weren't at the top of her list of concern. Despite this fact, I have a strong feeling that this bike is still in New England and am certain that I'm going to find it! Thanks again, Christopher.

Comment

Good Afternoon - Wanted to add a few pictures - please take a look!

06430001.jpg06430002.jpg06430003.jpg06430005.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X