Cleaning oil from aluminium casings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning oil from aluminium casings

Tried to remove a sump oil covered aluminium case with little good results. Soaked in degreasers, kero/turps 50-50 mix as a friend suggested, pressure pack degreasers, etc with no good results. Next step after trying all the retail brews is an ultrasound warm bath, unless someone has a better idea. Need it back to clean aluminium like original . Dale

This will depend on how big the part is, but I found a pan of boiling water lifts the oil out and is incredible with simple green added. I've seen the turkey fryers used with the big pot too.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Dan,
      little big for pot as its the complete henderson sump and engine block. Just want it to sparkle when I put it back together. May have to take it to a engine rebuilders "hot Bath" , but was just trying to do much of it myself. Cheers for the post. Dale

Comment

Have since bought an Ultrasound machine...works like a dream...

Comment

I found that the Bike Brite product line is superb for cleansing and maintaining the aluminum patina. Many products oxidize the metal and leave it porous and white with removing grease, afterwards, this product shines as it is wiped and or polished. I would imagine the Ultrasound probably works like a dream also.
          Denise

Comment

Prob to late but I have found some motor (auto) have a large ultrasonic cleaner they can drop a car motor in.
            Good luck

Comment

Lacquer thinner (available cheap as paint gun cleaner) works great.

Somewhere I have a thread on cleaning my Indian Cases. I can't find it... but it's here now. It goes through the process. You can make a case glow again!

I'll look again. Maybe someone rememembers where I left that thread!

I found the thread: http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...an-Chief-Motor

It was under "Guides" which is why I could not find it.

Cheers,

Sirhr
              Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 06-03-2015, 04:52 PM. Reason: I left my thread in the wrong thread...

Comment

Working...
              X