Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Grandfathers Motorcycle

Hello,
    Please take a look at the photo in this weblink. It is a picture of my grandfather, with his motorcycle.
    http://project356.com/Images/Bike/Toms-Mystery-Bike.jpg

My grandfather passed away, when my own father was a young teenager.

This photograph has been in the family for many years.

It was suspected the bike might be an Indian, but no one in the family is sure.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or guesses.

Tom Hudson
    Flint, MI
    http://project356.com/Images/Bike/Toms-Mystery-Bike.jpg

Hi Tom:
    Your grandfather's motorcycle is a 1912 Indian single cylinder, single speed model. The front fender tip, which appears first in 1912 is missing, making it look a year or two earlier. The closed, as opposed to open magnet magneto first appeared in 1912, and that's the givaway. Also, 1911 was the last year a metal headstock badge was fitted, and there is none apparent on the machine. 1913 machines had rear springing. Therefore definitely 1912. The single displaced 30.50 cu.in. or 500 ccs.
    Pete Gagan, President, AMCA

Comment

Hello Pete - this is long over due... apologies on my lateness.

Just a quick word to say THANKS much for your detailed information on my grandfathers bike. I forwarded your email/notes over to my father and from there.... it has spread thru our family.

Apparently the bike is still in the family and is sitting in a family member's barn in rural Indiana.

I have put out an inquiry to see if this is something I might be able to acquire start on as a restoration project.

I know zip-zero on Indian motorcycles, and I purchased my first motorcycle ('66 BMW) about 5 months ago.....but, it's never too late to start learning

Thanks again, appreciate your time and generosity in sharing your experience & information.
      Tom

Comment

Working...
      X