No announcement yet.

Younger Membership of AMCA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry I'm a little late in making a comment, but I just this morning took the time to read all the entries.

Let me start by setting the level: My understanding is AMCA has not seen a significant decline in members in the last few years – it is holding its own while other motorcycle clubs may not be so well off. So the concern about membership decline is not a major issue.

Many good points made in this forum: particularly that it takes time and some money to collect and restore antique motorcycles. In line with this is the likelihood that the natural demographic is: older folks (men primarily) who have the time and necessary funds. And if they’re active in antique motorcycle collecting and restoration, AMCA and its magazine offer an excellent resource.

It’s also quite clear that the best avenues into antique motorcycles include:
    • a parent or close relative who has an interest in motorcycles.
    • A move from choppers and modified machines into antiques and restorations.

Until I saw my first beautifully restored (or original – I’m not sure) antique motorcycle, I had no idea how sexy and attractive the interest is.

Strong comments confirmed that the antique motorcycle and what AMCA stands for is and should be the attraction – that AMCA should not deviate from its mission/purpose. This is not to say AMCA cannot undertake minor feature tweeks in order to be more attractive to younger motorcycle enthusiasts. As conditions change every association should do this to keep fresh and vital. For example, AMCA should expand its adoption of social media, embrace choppers and bobbers to some extent in its events, and engage father/son (parent/child) activities to encourage older collectors to bring in their children or younger relatives.

To me, the bottom line: if AMCA works to expand awareness of its existence overall, all aspects of AMCA will grow and its members will benefit. And as it grows, the typical demographic (older members who have the time and money) will join and influence their children and younger relatives to become interested in antique motorcycles. Young folks will come in as a natural extension of growth.

Some growth effort can focus on the events that attract younger folks including events like Born Free – as a gateway activity to antique motorcycle restorations.

Events including Tiddler Tour by the Manitoba Chapter, Race of Gentlemen, Moto Melee, Isle of Vashon TT and Brad Elkins Memorial Run were mentioned as either models for future AMCA activity or events that AMCA should support in order to expand awareness. A little sponsorship investment here might go a long way.

Regarding what makes of motorcycles AMCA embraces, the history of the club is based on older American motorcycles. Why? Because the club was formed in the United States and U.S.made bikes were the most common. AMCA must consider how many motorcycles from outside the U.S. were around in those days: probably not many. And also realize when Japanese motorcycles were introduced to the U.S. Japanese motorcycles are gaining more interest, but with AMCA’s focus on bikes 35 years old and older, Japanese bikes are naturally not as commonly thought of as the old American brands. As a type, they do not have as much history as Harley’s and Indians and even the European bikes.

I have an idea for a plan that dramatically expands awareness of AMCA at minimal cost. A plan that will follow the standard 100 to 10 to 1 formula of membership growth. Reach 100, engage 10, and convert 1 to join. My plan can reach thousands each and every month. I will be pleased to share this plan with Spag and the board at an appropriate time.

Thank you for your attention.

Comment

Working...
    X