Grease in Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease in Transmission

Hi All, has anyone used grease instead of oil for there tranny? if so what did you use and how much did you put in?

Thanks Chris

If you meaning like a wheel bearing grease, its not a good idea. Grease is not fluid enough to get into the important areas that need lube.

Comment

^^^ This

Not only is it not fluid enough, it will create a 'wall' around things that do need lubricant, keeping oil out completely.

This is a big deal on older bikes which often had oil (not grease) fittings for forks, necks, engine parts, etc. If you put grease in a tecalemit fitting intended for oil... you will just plug up the works.

Read your manual or handbook... figure out what the manufacturer intended... and use it. Engineers back then were smart. They knew what they were designing. FYI, there is an outstanding little book I have bought a few copies of to hand out to customers. Called "Which Oil."

http://www.amazon.com/Which-Oil-Choo.../dp/1845843657

This is an absolutely fantastic book which answers the constant questions about lubricants.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks guys, I was told by other riders of Indian Power plus that they used grease as its hard to seal up the transmission, but wanted to get other opinions. I know that grease comes in different viscosities so I woundnt think it was a any type hard grease.

Comment

I can't speak for the PowerPlus... but a lot of early vehicles, especially with straight cut gears, used 600wt oil in rear ends, transmissions and the like. This can sometimes be confused with grease as it is very thick.

Currently, 600 WT is easily purchased through any supplier of Model T Ford parts. Lang's and Mac's both carry it.

Also just as a warning... modern high-pressure transmission and gear oils have a very high sulphur content. Any of your 90 WT high pressure gear lubes will stink like rotten eggs when you open the container. Do NOT... EVER... use those lubricants in vintage transmissions or gearboxes or rear-ends which use yellow metal (ie bronze) bearings, bushings, thrust washers, ball cages, etc. The sulphur in that modern oil will attack the yellow metal, dissolving away anything but the zinc matrix from the alloy. You will be left with crumbling bearings that look like lead and fall apart under load.

Again, get to know one's individual machine! I think AMCA has a huge database of old bike manuals online. Even if you have to look at a digital copy of your service/maintenance/handbook lube schedule... find it. Learn it. Live it. ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Z View Post
            Thanks guys, I was told by other riders of Indian Power plus that they used grease as its hard to seal up the transmission, but wanted to get other opinions. I know that grease comes in different viscosities so I woundnt think it was a any type hard grease.
            Indians back into the 1920s used engine weight oil (50-60) in the gearbox and primary - or maybe a grade lighter to reduce clutch drag. Some British gearboxes in the 20s and 30s called for a "semi-liquid grease" or a 50-50 mix of engine oil and that kind of grease. I suspect that "semi-liquid grease" was probably a low melting point grease made of oil and a calcium soap. Somebody from the oil industry could probably tell us if it is still around on this side of the pond. I know it is still available in Britain, but don't have a brand name or specification.
            AFJ

Comment

Penrite do a semi-fluid grease.
              You'll need to stand the container in a bucket of hot water for a while so it gets liquid enough to pour
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                Penrite do a semi-fluid grease.
                You'll need to stand the container in a bucket of hot water for a while so it gets liquid enough to pour
                Tommo: Right on. And Penrite (another down-under organization)... is a great company. They make some outstanding steering box lube and are among the companies I considered in my above post. They do great products that match some of the vintage lubricants that our toys were made to use.

That said... for folks considering it... make sure that, when you use semi-fluid grease, you are using it where it was intended to use. It is not 600 WT. It is not 250 WT. It is NOT a substitute for gear lubrication. Semi-fluid grease was intended for use in... things designed for semi-fluid grease. That may (or may not) be your bike. Find out. Semi-fluid grease, as great a product as it is, is not a substitute for good seals or scrolls on transmissions that were intended for less-viscous lubricants.

Thanks, Tommo, for brining up a great outfit. Their products, BTW, are available in the U.S. through another great outfit called Restoration Supply Company... www.restorationstuff.com Not the cheapest lube in the world but it is RIGHT. And that little feature is priceless... considering the cost of rebuilding old cars and bikes. RSC is a great source for restoration parts for cars... and lots of stuff for old bikes. They are family-run and are a 10/10 company in terms of products and service.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                  FYI, there is an outstanding little book I have bought a few copies of to hand out to customers. Called "Which Oil."

http://www.amazon.com/Which-Oil-Choo.../dp/1845843657
                  This is an absolutely fantastic book which answers the constant questions about lubricants.
                  Cheers, Sirhr
                  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ht+Oil&_sop=15
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
                  X