Harley JD or VL Ammeter Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley JD or VL Ammeter Bracket

What can anyone tell me about this accessory ammeter bracket? Is it a factory accessory? When was it introduced? For what models? How was it mounted?
    I'm assuming that the ammeter itself is not correct, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks
    Mark Masa

Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Mark- I am pretty sure that fits on the JD using the same 2 bolts that mount the dash to the top tree. The ammeter then is up above the dash. I will post a pic of one mounted on a friends machine.

I'm not sure when or where it comes from.
    Dan Margolien
    Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
    Www.yankeechapter.org
    Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Mark, from memory the accessory ammeter was introduced on the JD in 1925, but not in the bracket you picture. It is illustrated in the May 1929 Harley accessory catalog as a $3.50 part number 11200-25. The bracket mounts on two of the tank top screws and sits to the left of centre. The ammeter illustrated is a Weston, but without the bar and shield presumably introduced in 1929. The VL would not use an accessory ammeter as it has one integral in the dash. Maybe some of the 1930-34 singles using up JD dashes could have been fitted with an accessory ammeter.

Comment

Steve
        That's sort of what I was thinking too. I was told by someone that it is shown in a 1932 accessory catalog but mine only go up to 1931. I'm familiure with the tank top mounted ammeter bracket used 1925-28. I was also curious if this style may have been used on 1925-28 JDs when a speedo was also mounted. It would be getting pretty busy on top of the tank if both the ammeter and speedo were mounter there.
        Dan, a picture would be great.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Dear Mark, there is a 11200-25 ammeter complete with wire and bracket shown in the 1932 Harley accessories catalog, but this time it is a Weston 354 carrying the Harley bar and shield logo, and the bracket shows a single mounting tab to the left. 11200-32 is also listed, still at $3.50, as fitting the 1932 B single. This looks like the usual Harley practice of keeping old part numbers while updating the part. The text confirms the bar and shield ammeter was introduced in 1929, so it would be the plain Weston instrument used earlier.

Comment

What I'm really hopping to see is a picture of this style of ammeter mounted.
            Mark
            Mark Masa
            www.linkcycles.com

Comment

IMG_1453.jpg
              The bracket on the left, Henderson. 2 brackets center like yours, one came with the Weston 10 amp, AMMECUP alum bracket on right, maybe broken lower arm, something looks broken on the bottom. Not sure where this was used either?
              I would like to know as well. I don't have many accessory catalogs. Wish I could help...

Comment

Working...
              X