AMCA on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA on Facebook

It's probably me, but I haven't found the AMCA Facebook page to be easy to use, or even very navigable. I see some interesting pictures, but the text often seems cryptic, or irrelevant. I'd love to hear some pointers, suggestions, or instructions on how to make it more usable to an infrequent Facebook visitor.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I looked at the facebook page as well. Appears only basic club info and no navigating. I found another facebook page (link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/71952452378/) called . . AMCA. “Antique Motorcycle Club of America”. Within this page, there are links to the AMCA's website and to the Fort Sutter Chapter (not sure who originated this page). There is a lot of activity there, photo posts and such - interesting reads. Plus it appears global from all the input and there is a one-click button to request to join this page. I wonder if the club will put more detail into the facebook page?
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

That link is to a different Facebook page than I found. The link you posted works better, and seems to be easier to browse. Thanks William.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111664952275098/

i think you still need to join group to see all posts

aka hawg
        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
        1940 indian chief military
        1965 sportster xlch
        1969 sportster xlch bobber
        1971 bsa A65 chopper
        1969 harley ss350 sprint
        1960 harley topper
        1963 harley topper
        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
        1959 harley model 165
        1960 harley super 10
        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Hawg, that is where I was the first time. I guess you have to join, or be "friended" but I don't see how you do that. I guess I'm looking for some insight about it, and if it's worth the trouble to learn the etiquette, and language of social media. I can see that there are a lot of motorcycle lovers there, but it looks like you have to be a Facebook lover too. . . That ain't me.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

eric are you a facebook member now?
            if yes look just right of center and it has an option to join or be invited by a member, it also shows total members abd new members
            click on that and submit your request or im member of facebook pm me and ill invite you

aka HAWG
            1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
            1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
            1940 indian chief military
            1965 sportster xlch
            1969 sportster xlch bobber
            1971 bsa A65 chopper
            1969 harley ss350 sprint
            1960 harley topper
            1963 harley topper
            H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
            H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
            1949 harley model 125 bobber project
            1959 harley model 165
            1960 harley super 10
            1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
            EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

the thing I like about it is it's the easiest site I have seen to post pictures, kind of fun. I waste to much time on the computer already.The main reason I joined was trying to git as much Cannonball info as I could while it was actually happening.

Comment

There was a big effort to vote for Brittney Olsen a few months back. People were voting daily myself included to try and get her to win the Be a Champion contest for Champion Spark plugs.

It has been a great page and my forum use has dropped off because of it. As Tom stated it's the easiest way to share pictures. Take one with your phone and with a couple of clicks its up there with text.

One of my favorite pictures was of I think Jim Wear with a deer strapped to a Chief with a muzzleloader on the front forks.

It works kind of like reading a neverending newspaper that scrolls. You can comment on things and and talk about mostly pictures.

Since last week, I have somehow been removed from the Facebook group since I shared a link to a new product that I thought would increase the safety of riding our old machines. It is a new helmet that has a rearview camera in it that projects the image in front of you - kind of fighter pilot helmet type stuff. It also has phone and gps capability. I thought it would be most excellent for the cannonballers.

http://www.skullyhelmets.com/

Apparently someone thought I was a spammer and hit the block or remove button to remove me from the group.

I have sent messages to 4 of the 5 admins of the page asking to be allowed again to no avail. Pretty sure it only takes a few clicks to fix it.

To the best of my knowledge the admins are;
                Brittney Olsen
                Matt Olsen
                Buck Carson
                John J. Cerilli
                Jim Wear

If any of you could pass along the message to the admins, I would greatly appreciate being unblocked from it.

or if I have the admins wrong, please let me know.
                AMCA #10930

Comment

Also an intersting note, is that this forum has just over 3000 members and last I looked the facebook page had over 12,000.
                  AMCA #10930

Comment

Had a FB account for one month several years ago, must have done something wrong as my e-mail address was published.... STILL get an occasional "Hotties looking for hookups" direct to my email.
                    Never again.
                    Rich

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

My request won't be accepted, no worries! This forum and caimag's have helped more than anything else

Al Cournoyer
                      1942 WLA Boober
                      1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
                      Member #23154

Comment

Frichie68,

It is good practice to never type out your email address or phone number on most of these sites as computers can search and grab them for spam. This includes forums, craigslist, facebook, etc......

Most people that want to give a human their contact info on a page like this will mix it up or give instructions to correct what is typed.

for example;
                        800-867-5309 might be shown as: 800 eight six seven 5 3 zero 9

or an email might be

joe@@amca.com - remove the extra @ sign

maybe this will help some people from experiencing what you had happen.
                        AMCA #10930

Comment

To be part of this forum you have to be an AMCA member. I'm assuming that the facebook page can be accessed by anyone? I'm not a facebook user so I'm not 100% sure?

Comment

Hi,

I'm a new AMCA member and a regular facebook user. Groups are kind of a PITA, as someone earlier pointed out, it just keeps scrolling on with the latest stuff at the top and no organization. There is a tiny search button in the upper left, but it's not very effective.

In my opinion, facebook is great for socializing, but it can be terrible for sharing information. It is very hard to access older posts; if it's more than a couple of days old, it is pretty much lost in a giant pile of stuff. There is also a culture of sharing without attribution, which means there are a lot of pictures with very little information. So instead of a picture with identifying information, you get a picture with a bunch of guys arguing about what it is in the comments.

On the upside, FB is great at connecting people. In Louisville we have a vintage bike night which gets 60-70 people every week in the summer that has pretty much grown out of a facebook group. I may not be able to find the picture I saw a couple months ago on our page, but I know who to ask for that information. Our facebook organized bike night also get folks of all ages, the younger folks seem to like 70s Hondas, but that is at least partially based on budget.

I think what I'm trying to say is that FB is an aquired taste. :-)

Comment

Fciron, thank you so much for your observations about the AMCA Facebook group. I suspected it was like you said, but I'm not a Facebook maven so I don't know much about the mechanics of it. It seems like there is value there, but the fact that it's a big heaping pile of content without easy access, or search abilty takes a lot of the value (and fun) out of it. With this hobby, I think the access to pictures, and searchable content is invaluable to the members. People come here to find out about their bike and who can help them. This, and other forums are like a lifeboat for members who have a bike that no one in their area has ever heard of; let alone has parts for. I love the social aspects of this great hobby, and have made lifelong friends because of the AMCA, but that came from genuine mutual interest in common projects. I like the idea of staying in touch with my friends, but Facebook has been a bit too demanding for my tastes. I've got **** to do for crying out loud
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X