• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Cotten

Hey Tom,
    You need to empty your mailbox.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Chris!

I received and replied to your PM no problem.

But I'll empty some of it anyway.
    With a memory like mine, I need to keep most of it!

(Anyone can email me direct at liberty@npoint.net)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Chris!

I just tried to email you direct with an L&L/Schebler beanpot bowl volume comparison, and got an undeliverable notice back.
      Even though I un-blocked you after all those mass-mailings!

Stupid computers...

And this forum format doesn't offer me to post a pic to a PM, so I shall bore everyone here that may be interested:

Chris!

Beware right off the bat that the pivot axis of the '40 Schebler "Beanpot" is .468" from the top lip, and Linkerts are .375", and the internal hardware and bowlstems differ as well. So it would take a study to get the actual fuel level the same as Linkerts were designed for, as affected by the differing contours of their interiors and bowlstem volumes.

I set up a "burette" with mineral spirits (to avoid the meniscus problem with H2O) and found the volume of a leveled and completely empty ('65) Linkert OHV bowl to be ~189cc, and a beanpot to the top is ~195.

Although I would love to declare that every cc is critical, they are nearly the same within the accuracy of this measurement.
      You could probably hog out a Linkert (and trim the bowlstem) to exceed the Beanpot easily.
      Repops often must be anyway, and the pivot axis to be corrected as well!

Note also that the bore of the Beanpots' valves are only .125", and post-'50 Linkerts are ~.147"
      That's a lot.

I fear the reasons for the folklore that Beanpots offered more volume for stroker H-Ds are flawed, but anything would run.
      They are forgiving.

....Cotten
      Attached Files
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
      X