• Show
Clear All

• Out of the dumpster...

I'm so proud, Folks!

Any Schrader experts here?

...Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

No expert. A little search (which I'm sure you did already) has discovered that most folks on the net are using the last patent date to age 'em. Is it right? Doesn't seem likely but who knows? Cool find Cotten! Now you are gonna have to keep your eyes open for one of these .... http://www.bobdrake.com/Categories8....0-cf4c4e05318f
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Cory!

With a WIN98 system on dial-up, I appreciate your searches!
      The display is nifty, and I wish I could read the label inside the door clearly. I have a couple of the common "balloon tire" models, but these are the first '08 patent versions that fell out of the bin.

These (attached) were with them, but I am told they were for hotwater bottles.

...Cotten
      Attached Files
      AMCA #776

Comment

Very nice. 1920's. Nothing special in terms of collectability, but they are always an awesome accessory. Balloon tires started to come in vogue in the early 1920's. Before that, clinchers and narrow high-pressure tires were more the norm. So anything with Balloon on it is early '20s into the early '30s when the term went out of vogue.

The really valuable Schraders are the British ones with the 90 degree goose neck. Actually, they used to be valuable until eBay came along and made them common. Those were a specified toolkit item for Rolls-Royce and some high-end Brit cars. I remember seeing people paying $200 or more for them because you could simply never find one at a flea market or autojumble. Now, they're all over eBay for $10 - 20... they have come out of the woodwork.

Fantastic find and thanks for sharing.

So when you say Gadfly from the dumpster... you aren't kidding, are you?

I'm an antique tool fanatic. Love to have complete toolkits with my vehicles. It's one of those things you can do when bikes are parked and it's snowing...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr!

"Collectibility" should be a personal issue.
          Ebay value would only be icing-on-the-cake, as I might trade spares, but rarely ever cash in a dumpster find. (I never registered for Ebay,... yet.)
          They are trophies to me in their own right, as not only have I saved them from the landfill, they are specific local History.
          My shop is a repository.

And it doesn't get much more local than straight out my front door to the Horn O' Plenty (and everybody loves trophies...)

I collect every fingernail clipper too.
          (Imagine the DNA analysis!)

No kidding ever.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-28-2014, 02:26 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

IMG_1265.jpgi got this curbside last week. grabbed it up about 10 minutes before the snow started to fall. a bucks county watercolor.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Rob!

Wow! is it signed?

I musn't bore the forum with any of my 'art' finds (although I would like them identified);
              It would be 'off-topic', just like the unusual Ball mason jar that just turned up, probably of the same vintage as the Schrader gauges. (Albeit it should be later than the 1898-1912 Ball "triple-Ls", it is probably of just as minimal in value. But it adds to my 'collection'.)

We should encourage all to keep an eye out for History about to be lost, whether motorcycle related or not, and become more diverse "collectors".
              Set a jar of 1950's advertising matchbooks next to a jar of bicycle reflectors upon a jeweled mudflap, and its a "Period" collection!

Let us all remember the Dumpster Diver's Creed: "Seek,.. And Ye Shall Find!"

....Cotten
              PS: I sincerely regret losing the proper url credit for the attached graphic.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-28-2014, 08:54 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

This brightened my day, Folks!

.....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776

Comment

I need to start shopping in a better class of dumpster! All I ever seem to find are stale donuts. Not that they aren't tasty!

Very cool Cotten!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Still sorting the last haul, Folks,...

There's a couple of hundred nickel "spots" of various sizes, although they are labeled as "nail heads" and furniture glides.
                    Also a calibrated grease cup, and a ~8oz brass reservoir that says: "Use Crown Gasoline."

It confuses me that is isn't Red Crown.

....Cotten
                    (Attachment found buried under a mulberry in an alley a block from home.)
                    Attached Files
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Also a calibrated grease cup, and a ~8oz brass reservoir that says: "Use Crown Gasoline."

It confuses me that is isn't Red Crown.
                      Red Crown is a Grade of gasoline as sold by a Standard Oil subsidiary.There is also White Crown and Super Gold Crown.

The mud flap is bicycle.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Wow I hope I didn't offend anybody's tender sensibilities with obvious bicycle memorabilia, Folks!

I warned of it in my previous post.

And the reservoir (attached, more like four ounces) makes no color of "Crown Gasoline" distinction at all. I hope that dates it, as Red Crown was a brand in my region long, long before it became Standard.

More of the Horn O' Plenty haul, Folks,
                        (Off-topic, so the picky should turn away... Please.)
                        I gleaned 15 48" florescent bulbs that tested good (my shop has over 140 such fixtures), various vintage hardware store sundries like boxes of screws, tacks, cobbler's nails, etc., the stainless pressure cooker (new in the box) that I told my wife just yesterday was necessary for me to do proper chicken gizzard soup for her headcold (can't remember why aluminum is bad), plus two Art Deco Samsonite card tables that I can leave at D-port to save fuel on the return home,..
                        And more things in the pile I haven't sorted.
                        With luck there will be things more on-topic than just the ring of Briggs & Stratton keys.

....Cotten
                        PS: I also saved an 1899 novel called "David Havel", but I don't know why.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Ice storms kept the pickin's slim this week, Folks!

But there was a shift knob, and these brass buttons 'n [i]stuff[i].
                          Vintage motorcycle content: One button says "Excelsior", and should set easily into the bakelite knob!

(Anybody need a Washington D.C. Police Department knob?)

....Cotten
                          Attached Files
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Obviously I've been looking for junque in all the wrong places. I see lots of Avon bottles and baby clothes, not much of anything worth dragging home.
                            Rich
                            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Well Rich,

Perhaps perspective comes from necessity.
                              Baby clothes are absorbant rags, great for polishing, although I take most to a charity donation box a block away.
                              (Avon bottles always went to my neighboring 'antique and collectible" shop, until the folks got sick of "amuricun picker" attitudes and closed for good.)

Tonight, I must dress in my best to go to a visitation, as AMCA member "Underdoggie"'s lovely wife Mae passed after a long battle with cancer.
                              Only my shoes, socks and shorts didn't come from that dumpster.

...Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X