Vin and Title question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin and Title question

What did Indian titles typically contain for a VIN?

I have just used alpha and numberic characters for example, I know how to decipher the correct model and year. I am just interested in know if titles contained the special descritions after the sequential number.

ABC1234

A=Model
    BC=last 2 digits of year
    1234=next sequential number

did they have anything after what is on the engine boss? like ABC1234DE

DE= indicating wheter is was battery or magneto or special cylinder etc????

Thanks in advance.
    AMCA #10930

In the 40's, stamped in the case after the serial number boss would be "B" for battery ignition, "M" for magneto, or "BM" for the Bonneville version which were all magneto (I think?). But I defer to the experts since I can't locate my "cheat sheet" and I don't know of other possible add-ons during the 40's or before.

So I do wonder if the add on letters would be considered part of the VIN. First off, they're not on the number pad, and secondly they're not needed to identify a particular machine... there would never have been an ABC1234 with a "B" and another ABC1234 with an "M". I also wonder when manufacturers, like Indian, began the practice of supplying an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) with a new, previously untitled machine? The MSO is what is presented to the state for the initial title, and it's surrendered so you never get it back.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi on my original bill of sale, 1948 [no title] dealer showed both engine number, no letter & frame number hope that helps

Comment

Working...
      X