Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying star scooter

Hello to everyone,
    I know a young man that ask me to help him find any information I could on a Flying star motor scooter. The Badge on the neck has J&R motor supply co.
    I looked that up and found that the J&R motor supply co. was founded in 1917, and was sold to Spiegal catalog if I remember correctly in 1946.
    They changed the name to J&R auto supply co.
    That is all the info I could find. If anybody out there has any more info, and possibly some advertisement photos, all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Runnlo

Flying Star Scooter image?

Nothing via the usual Google search. This is on an auction house site.
    Attached Files
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks Bill,
      I haven't seen the scooter in person, but he sent me a pic to my phone,but it was so small I couldn't see it very well. What I could see looked like the pic you sent.
      Is it possible for you to send me the auction site?
      Thanks again,
      Stan.................Runnlo

Comment

Originally posted by Runnlo View Post
        Thanks Bill,
        . . .
        Is it possible for you to send me the auction site?
        Thanks again,
        On the right, second row of pix from the bottom.
        http://yellowpagelistings.net/salebills/?aid=88655
        Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Interesting.

The scooter in the photo (although modified somewhat over the years- newer motor, possible hacked up rear frame & seating area) is very, very similar to the late 1940s American Moto-Scoot scooters, just missing a lot of the sheet metal. I wish they had more (and better) photos of it and I'd also like to see a photo of the one that Runnlo's friend has.

For comparison:

http://www.midamericaauctions.com/mo...rized-scooter/

Comment

Bill,
            This is getting stranger by the minute...believe it or not....that is the actual scooter that the kid has! I live in Hannibal Mo. and so does the he. The auction was in New London, Mo. which is 6 mi. from my house, and the auction was for the estate of a good friend of mine.
            I didn't even know that he had the scooter. I think scooter guy hit it on the head...I have another friend that has a late 40's Moto-Scoot, and the frame and front end look very close if not the same. I have a 38 Moto-Scoot, and it doesn't look anything like the one from the late 40's
            Thanks again for sending me the info on the auction...it turned out to be very interesting.

Comment

Scooter Guy,
              As I told Bill...I think you hit it on the head, it does look very similar to the late 40's Moto-Scoot. I have a 1938 Moto-Scoot with the original paint and winged wheel decals. It's maroon and gray with a cast aluminum body and front fender. It's really a neat little scooter. Anyway getting back to the other one...do you think that Moto-Scoot made a Flying Star scooter? On my neck badge, it has Moto-Scoot Chicago IL. I appreciate any help you can give me on helping this kid find out what he has.
              Thanks,
              Stan....................Runnlo

Comment

Does it actually say Flying Star on it? I'd love to see a photo of the badge or decal.

It is possible that it is a rebadged Moto-Scoot. The Mead Ranger Scooters (yep, there were Mead bicycles, too) were just rebadged Moto Scoots. I suppose it's worth saying that the post-war Moto Scoot company was not exactly the same as the pre-war company...the post-war company was the AMERICAN Moto-Scoot, but they used the same logo on head badges and was the same factory. The original pre-war Moto Scoot company ended up being purchased out of essentially bankruptcy by a group of investors that went on to add the "American" to the name. As far as I can tell, American Moto Scoot only made it during 1947 and 1948 and maybe into 1949.

The scooter in question might be a very late 1930s (like 1939) Moto Scoot. It is definately not pre-1939 because (as you mentioned) the design was totally different. The cast aluminum bodied scooters are really amazing.

This one sure looks like a Moto Scoot that lived a hard life and underwent some modifications over the years, but I'd love to see where it says Flying Star on it.

Comment

Use Google.com to search about for scooter clubs.
                  Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post

That's just plain BRUTAL! Could even be classed as insulting, to the chief engine. But to the poor little scooter frame, it's brutal.
                      . and I might even try it sometime, for a test=stand, maybe

Comment

Scooter guy.
                        I haven't seen the scooter....but the kid told me that the neck badge said "Flying Star scooter" and J&R motor supply Co. At this point... I believe that someone has put a different neck badge on it...because it looks just like a late 40's Moto-Scoot frame. I'm going to tell him what I learned from you guys...and what I believe he has.
                        I did see a Flying Star bicycle by schwin...so I guess someone could have put a Bicycle neck badge on it.
                        Thanks for your help,
                        Stan................Runnlo

Comment

Duffeycycles,
                          Yours also looks like it's on a Moto-Scoot frame. It also looks like it can move right on down the road.
                          Thanks,
                          Stan..........Runnlo

Comment

Now that's a wild looking machine! Somebody knew how to get the most out of there Moto-Scoot!!
                            Thanks for sending it.
                            Stan.....................Runnlo

Comment

12 years old 1959 late '40s Moto Scoot go to CAIMAG forum thread Insanity to read the story
                              This pic -notice the bars cut down to keep front wheel down a bit!

Comment

Working...
                              X