Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timer rebuild

Hi all.
    I am rejuvenating a 68 FLH engine, and decided to pull the distributor apart to thoroughly clean and inspect it.
    This is my maiden voyage into removing the pin, washer, and worm gear off the end of the timer shaft.
    After sliding the shaft out of the body and close inspection of all parts, I was happy with their condition.
    I was about to start re-assembly and thought, what lube do I use for the shaft and bushes?
    I decided to read the manual to see what Harley wanted us to do prior to re-assembly.

I have an aversion to reading manuals, before getting into a job, and will only resort to the manual when I cant work something out.

Prior to cleaning the parts, I observed some excess “light brown” grease around the top of the tube, and the spinning advance plate.
    After grinding my teeth, I finally resort to reading the manual, (1948-1957) only to find it doesn’t mention any lubricant for the reassembly.

The top of the shaft has a reverse spiral machined into it and I’m guessing it is an oil slinger.
    Prior to cleaning, the shaft I noticed it only had the lightest perceptible lubricant left on it and I don’t believe it was grease….but I might be mistaken.
    I think the grease on the top of the tube, was used to stop thrust wear between it and the spinning advance plate.
    The clearance between this shaft and bush is 003” so not a lot of oil will get in there.
    My question is, …oil or a light grease on the bushes and shaft before re-assembly.
    My guess is oil, because of the slinger groove. But I am hoping that all you timer experts will chime in.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Steve,
    I have a 69 and also remember some 'light brown' residue. Upon reassembly of the timer shaft I used motor oil. 49K miles ago, no problems. There could be a proper lubricant to use but I didn't. Bob Rice #6738
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I'm no expert, Steve,

But the best pre-lube is one that will wash out quickly with the motor oil.

I prefer petrolatum.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Steve,
        I've used motor oil on those bushings for many years with no problem at all. Of late, I've switched to the Permatex red engine assembly pre-lube (Crane makes it as well) for all brass bushings and have enjoyed equal success. Apparently the reverse-spiral/oil slinger works well in those timers, as you hardly ever see one that needs to be re-bushed.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
        X