Where Is Jb????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Is Jb????

JB< Just wondering how you made out in Maine? Did you get what you wanted? Let us know!!!!

well i am back

It's goes to say it pays to do your home work or bring plenty of lubrication with novacaine if possible. I bought the project but if i had been more educated about what to look for i might still be looking instead of restoring i am filling out my first order to 45 resto. tonight. Thankfully i have a mentor and professional who is also a friend someone whom i can trust. The front end nearly fell out when we jacked it up to inspect a bad front brake drum. upon further inspection no wiring plate behind the headlight, brake drum cover had a piece of duct tape on it because it was missing a chunk out of it. We have put together the first order mainly bolts washer and fitting to make correct almost 500.00 worth the most expensive thing i am ordering is a new seat and some chrome oil lines, hopefully i will find a auto advance distributor at our swap meet this weekend maybe a seat tee and a repo dash and speedo.I don't think i will find to much this is not a antique swap. Thankfully my mentor has a front end to loan til i can rebuild mine or find one in better cond. 67 wide glide with steering damper in tack may be hard to come by. After about 3 cans of gunk it is beginning to look like something. The carriage has been welded and cut on but the frame is virtually untouched only missing the tab for the seat tee which i have ordered from 45 resto. The engine does run but to what degree we do not know, if the trans is good or if it needs clutches or maybe if we have any rear problems . our goal for me is to take my first rideunder the power of the bike around the block or basically to the end of the street. My other first trike ride does not count. Sitting on the gas tank holding on and coasting from the top of the driveway to the bottom of the back yard. Can't wait to fire it up and take it back up the hill and down the street. The goal is to be making that ride before christmas this ride will tell us if my brakes are good whether it shifts good, the reverse works or not whether i have power problems or not still pretty much in the dissasembly phase and design phase. I want to do it in sort of a custom look as it was in 1967. The rear currently sports a couple of american racing mags, i will send more in fo later. bye for now "jb"

Comment

Wow! ahhhh... congratulations I guess. You've got a project alright. Check to see if the intake manifold nuts to barrel have been stripped out. I've seen a bit of that from heavy handed guys in the mid-late 70s who just beat on those servicars.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin. Talk to lots of guys. Have fun! Keep us posted.

Comment

WELL JB,
        GOOD LUCK IT sounds like you have your hands full!! It will keep you out of trouble for awhile!
        Other than that how was your trip??

Comment

the trip was long and expensive, Can you say "hemi"? also toll booths out the wazoo. 1,015 miles door to door. (one way) we drove non-stop in shifts me and my wife. It started to sleet while we were sitting in the parking lot at the dealers in Maine we couldn't get out of there fast enough. Think i will only do my shopping at swap meets and or maybe local dealers. It was an adventure though, The cars in the north do not come with working turn sinals though,can't figure that out i thought they were standard equipment but i tell you this what they lack in signaling they more than make up for it in horse-power, we seen some of the fastest cars this side of nascar.

Comment

WELL,
            Glad to see you made it in one piece! It reminds me of a trip to Iowa not long ago 3100 miles round trip but unlike you my friend I came back empty handed long ways for nothing but I still had my cash for another buy,even at my age it was a lesson WELL learned!

Comment

speaking of davenport

My wife and i this past labor day rode to our first ever national swap davenport is 929 miles from my front porch.,and it is another 70 or so to anamosa before we headed back now thats a trip i rode my 04 V-Rod and my wife rode a 2000 883 hugger. Try that on for size!!!!!!

Comment

speaking of davenport

My wife and i this past labor day rode to our first ever national swap davenport is 929 miles from my front porch.,and it is another 70 or so to anamosa before we headed back now thats a trip i rode my 04 V-Rod and my wife rode a 2000 883 hugger. Try that on for size!!!!!!

Comment

Now thats a hell of a ride on an 883 that wife of yours has got heart! Davenport has been my personal favorite for a long time, way before it was a big affair! This year I didnt have the time to ride out with 2 of my close friends, (1from NH the other RI) so I flew, 3hours and I was there! sure did beat the long ride! but not nearly as fun! Also always enjoy the Antique races from the pits! Was nice to bee there and see Gene Barron take his last ride and win!

Comment

JBs 67 Sr V

Well the dissasembly is going well no paul the nuts weren't stripped thank goodness. The tanks are off and i have stripped them down to the bare metal not an easy task especially for a first timer, The heads are off being bead blasted, I have cleaned the linkert to it's former brass shine, Since my wide glide front is shot i purchased a super glide to run until i can rebuild or find a good deal on a complete wide glide front, I need a new carriage mine has to many cuts and weld marks for me but thats ok i'm not planning on running a carriage since i don't have a box now anyway. I am thinking of running it chop style like maybe someone would have done in the late sixties or early seventies. maybe a set of 13'' apes a 21'' and no mud guard., Some of that old fifties real hot rods don't have fenders stuff! my rear wheel are vintage 60's american racing spoke mags on dunlop gt 50's Thinking of a set of wheelie bars and a parachute between the tail lights, That might be cool? It will be painted my signature harley racing orange, maybe add a black racing double stripe, any way those are some of my thoughts thats half of the fun. I know flat head 45's are not speed demons by any stretch of the imagination, but if i set it up right i will look fast just sitting still!!!!

Comment

45" Speed demons

JB, I'm right there with you on the 45" in todays high speed traffic.
                      I have a sport solo model and the top end on the highway is 70 MPH (72 downhill)!

I've heard some rumblings lately of guys taking an Indian 45 and boring it out to 57" ( 900cc) back in the day. Maybe even a race setup.
                      I would like to ask the more knowledgable amongst us to speak to that modification. Has anyone heard of or done it and what are the pitfalls. Maybe we can both get some tips here as to the best performance mods to make to the old flatheads.

There's also a website I believe someone here directed me to, www.flatheadpower.com
                      It's worth a looksee.

Sounds like you've got a great winter project. Good Luck!
                      Dave

Comment

I know a little - not alot, and would like to hear from others also.

Stroking a 45 w/ 74 wheels was pretty common. Got a bad rap because alot of guys were doing a really hack job of it and would blow or sieze motor- (bad pistons, improper specs, wrong tolorances, push it too hard, etc.). Strokers from what I understand are primarily built for mid-top power. Will have breathing problems due to increased displacement. Balance and also major carb problems. Which in many cases translates into alot of down time constantly fiddling about, when you could be riding.

On the up side - shifting into second and the power comes on like a freight train when you roll it on. JB -with three wheels you'll have handling problems.

Riding on the interstate or any major highway for that matter on an antique bike is ahhhh... missing the point. Get out of the fast lane and ride the secondary roads to enjoy your local communities and scenery. You and your machine will have a much better time. Journey -not destination.

I'm really takeing to heart the old expression. "It is -what it is. Enjoy it for what it is."

Good advice I got was to ride it stock first. Then decide about building a second motor later.

I'd personally play up the fact that you have a servicar. You can haul stuff! You have a trunk! Put beer in it (wooden keg mounted on back) holy period correct Batman! Ice cream, or period correct mobil repair graphics for a garage or something. Train a dog to sit in it- and then get out and pee on expensive euro cars on command.. (I've seen this, it's very funny). A tow vehicle? Lots of fun to be had.

Want a fast flat for street? More cubes. But speed really isn't the name of the game here. You have to romance your machine a little more. Learn to love it for what it is!

Comment

Great Advice

Thanks Paul ,
                          I need to ride it for awhile as it is get it fine tuned, then later buy a second motor to build as a thumper that way if something goes wrong with it i can yank it out and be ridding on my stocker. i hadn't planned on getting on the interstate with her. As i have stated she is stripped down right now, i don't have a box would be extra weight if i did. I'm thinking off running it as stripped as possible, She has a set of 50's in the back i hope this will inhance handleing. I like your ideas about period correct i don't really know what all the rage was in 67 and later, lets say up to maybe 76 when probally a 67 was coming out of service? I know one big craze hit in 69 when everyone was chromeing their frames.(easy rider)?? Did the police use them for one year and get a new one or did they have them for several years.

Comment

Working...
                          X