1969 Honda on Ebay 6 figures and climbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Honda on Ebay 6 figures and climbing

Sand cast 750 fours is what you should be looking for not 1940 Knuckleheads.
    Ross

Sand Casts have been going into the stratosphere the last 5 years or so. But, wow...

Thanks for posting!

Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB-196...US_motorcycles

Personally, for that kind of coin, I'd prefer a Brough and an Indian Four for riding in bad weather. But it's a nice machine!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks for adding the link. Wasn't sure how to do that. I agree with the climbing of late, but I watched one auctioned at Barbers last October and if I remember correctly , it cracked around the 20 grand mark. This is right up there with the Black Shadows.
      Ross

Comment

Holy Cow. Learned something new today. Thanks for posting.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

For the record this 750 Honda topped out at $148,100 Move over green knucklehead, some one else just stepped up.
          Ross

Comment

Wow!!! My memory is a little fuzzy on it but that motorsickle looks an awful lot like a bike I helped a guy drag out of an old garage a few years ago. I can tell you he didn't pay anywhere near that amount!!! O.K. it's a special one but that's gonna move old Honda's on up the list! Who'd a thunk?
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Wow!!! My memory is a little fuzzy on it but that motorsickle looks an awful lot like a bike I helped a guy drag out of an old garage a few years ago. I can tell you he didn't pay anywhere near that amount!!! O.K. it's a special one but that's gonna move old Honda's on up the list! Who'd a thunk?
              Move up old Hondas?? No, it won't. A very specific prototype with provenance is a very special thing. Old Hondas are still old Hondas and the market will move as it has the last few years. Boomers buying for nostalgic reasons. It is an interesting anomaly but nothing more than that.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone:

If you look at the percentage increases in value rather than the actual sale price, old Hondas are climbing like rockets. CBX's, good Fours, early small bikes like CB's and CL's. They are still cheap, admittedly. But bikes that were a few hundred just a few years ago are now a few thousand... and climbing. You are dead right about nostalga and boomers buying the bike they had as a kid. But it's driving the market. And by any measure, lots of Japanese bikes were wrecked, abused, tossed away, etc. Leaving limited numbers of really good ones. I mentioned this to someone else in a PM... but what makes a collectible is something iconic, popular and game-changing. And it's usually something that no one thought would become a collectible. 10 years from now we'll look back on todays Honda prices as a stone bargain.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Move up old Hondas?? No, it won't. A very specific prototype with provenance is a very special thing. Old Hondas are still old Hondas and the market will move as it has the last few years. Boomers buying for nostalgic reasons. It is an interesting anomaly but nothing more than that.
                  Valid points Robbie. But did you think 30 years ago that Knucks would be going for what they are today? When all the really good American and Brit stuff is priced far beyond most peoples means (and that's happening sooner than later) then I think people will be searching for alternatives. Early bone stock original Japanese bikes are surly going to be worth more than they are today. I think Sirhr's prediction is on the mark. I quit going to a few swap meets that were, what I deemed to be over saturated with Japanese stuff, simply because it didn't interest me. I can tell you though that there were a pile of people that didn't see it the same as me.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I guess I'll remain modest. Bought my first Japanese bike 10 years ago, a '77 KZ 900 with 16k miles on it, from the original owner. He'd promised that he could find the original pipes, but, oh well, somebody else found them first. I had too much Indian work to do so I hired good Kawasaki friends I've known since 1st grade to bring it back to life. It runs real smooth now. Reckon I've got double it's worth invested, ..... but what's it really about?
                    Somebody pat me on the back, please, ... please?

Comment

Phil, have you considered skirted fenders on that kz ?
                      Ross

Comment

Valid points Robbie. But did you think 30 years ago that Knucks would be going for what they are today? When all the really good American and Brit stuff is priced far beyond most peoples means (and that's happening sooner than later) then I think people will be searching for alternatives. Early bone stock original Japanese bikes are surly going to be worth more than they are today. I think Sirhr's prediction is on the mark. I quit going to a few swap meets that were, what I deemed to be over saturated with Japanese stuff, simply because it didn't interest me. I can tell you though that there were a pile of people that didn't see it the same as me.
                        I guess you really didn't read my post, or perhaps didn't understand it....
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I guess you really didn't read my post, or perhaps didn't understand it....
                          Fine... I didn't get it...
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                            Phil, have you considered skirted fenders on that kz ?
                            The forum requires at least 10 characters in a post, or you'll get this message that something of yours is too short. Today, with your suggestion, you've exposed my short-COMING: I don't know how to respond, can't put it into words.
                            I have a few old Harley parts that won't sell for a dollar, rusty primary tins, sportster tanks. I think I'll go to the shop and kick them around the floor, maybe. Yes, that should be good therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                              The forum requires at least 10 characters in a post, or you'll get this message that something of yours is too short. Today, with your suggestion, you've exposed my short-COMING: I don't know how to respond, can't put it into words.
                              I have a few old Harley parts that won't sell for a dollar, rusty primary tins, sportster tanks. I think I'll go to the shop and kick them around the floor, maybe. Yes, that should be good therapy.
                              Don't take it to hard...you'll always be the "STUD" on an Indian Chief.
                              Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X