Knuckle(?) tanks identification please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knuckle(?) tanks identification please

Hello, been a while since I visited this site. I've come across some late knuckle or early pan tanks, period modified. I believe these can be properly revived, what do you think? Can you please help me identify them? 1947?

Last edited by slarsonroy; 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM.
    Scott Larson
    AMCA #13589
    Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
    1971 HD FLH
    1971 Triumph Bonneville 650
    1973 Norton Commando 750

They are panhead and anything can be fixed but the cost? It depends on how bad you want and need this particular set of tanks. I have cut the tanks apart and pounded the dents and then welded back together but they were a bit rarer than these. Then those brass repairs would concern me too.
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 01-27-2014, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, what distinguishes the pan tanks from the late Knuckle tanks?
      Scott Larson
      AMCA #13589
      Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
      1971 HD FLH
      1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

These 4 reliefs do not exist or are very minimal in size and the threaded spigot on the right tank is close to the back of the tank. Knucklehead tanks are actually rated at 3 3/4 gallons vs 3 1/2 gallons for a panhead tank'

Jerry

Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
        Thanks Jerry, what distinguishes the pan tanks from the late Knuckle tanks?
        Attached Files

Comment

Early '47 tanks,

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I see what you are talking about with the "reliefs". I had found another pic of what were stated as knuckle tanks and thought they were the same.

I didn't notice the location. Of the spigot. Thanks for the good info. So now they are narrowed down to '48 to '50?
            Scott Larson
            AMCA #13589
            Omaha Chapter

1953 HD FLE
            1971 HD FLH
            1973 Norton Commando 750

Comment

Working...
            X