Harley Tries to Take on the NYPD with the UMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Tries to Take on the NYPD with the UMG

In 1937 Harley-Davidson produced a special model just to try and sway the NYPD to switch to their brand. Read about Harley's attempt to make an "Indian Clone" and win the NYPD's business.

Harley Tries to Take on the NYPD with the UMG
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Dear Jim, the Harley black book gives production numbers for the UMG of 150 in 1937, 141 in 1938 and 82 in 1939. Of interest to me is the 118 VMG models produced in 1936. I've had a couple of sets of engine cases through my hands and these are slowly being restored by others. They have the stacked magneto generator with a long strap to hold it on and an extra idler gear to drive it, plus a special cam cover blind over the No 1 cam normally used the drive the circuit breaker on the VL. I also occasionally see right hand VL tanks with a second dummy filler to deal with the right hand shifter gate. Most of the special left-to-right gearshifter parts have 1935 part numbers.

Comment

If anyone is acquiring parts for a 1939 UMG, I have a NOS shifter gate (r.h. 12N34 pattern) that I might be willing to part with.

Comment

I've also got the left to right UMG gearshifter crossover shaft nos. That could stay on the shelf a while.

Comment

Working...
        X