George's List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George's List

Good morning people! Thought I’d let you in on something I learned from my skills for world domination. About five years ago I posted a wanted ad on George’s list. I was stupid enough to use my personal e-mail address and am still getting spam from that one weak stupid move. Well about three months ago I wanted to post another ad but this time I went to G-mail and opened a new e-mail account to do it with. Now keep in mind that the only place I used this was for that one ad. Yesterday alone I had 32 spams, 90% were of the Nigerian variety. So if you’re going to post on George’s, don’t use your personal info whatever you do. I hope this tid bit of info will save someone grief. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Bob!

It just sounds to me like Gmail has a poor spamfilter, or you have it set wide open.

My classic dial-up server prevents me from recieving much of any of that... unless I opt to do so.

But then, I've never played "George's". Nor Ebay!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Wrong Tom, The point of the post is that the e-mail address was harvested off George's list.
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

bob
        I dont usually use george's but if I do I just add extra letters to email then put in add to remove them, when I do this it cuts the spam down to almost if not zero

aka HAWG
        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
        1940 indian chief military
        1965 sportster xlch
        1969 sportster xlch bobber
        1971 bsa A65 chopper
        1969 harley ss350 sprint
        1960 harley topper
        1963 harley topper
        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
        1959 harley model 165
        1960 harley super 10
        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Bob!

So,.. you,.. like,.. have to hit "delete" a lot, right?
          Bummer.

Did I mention that I don't need an antivirus either?

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Bob, the best way to handle it in the future is to separate the robots... for example, give your email but don't put the @ symbol in it. Instead, type "AT". Or if your email has a number, type the number longhand with instructions to replace with the numeric version. I am not for more gov't, but this is one area where I wish they would crack the whip on these clowns.

Comment

Bob L,
              You make valid point in general about someone using your e mail for spam purposes. We all know that once your e mail is in cyberspace it can be "harvested for spam" by some unscrupulous people. The AMCA Board has a policy of limiting access to Member's e mail addresses and other personal information. Although there is never a guarantee that someone in the Club or elsewhere will not use e mails addresses for unsolicited business or general spam purposes, a few barriers may help to impede spammers from gaining access to private member e mails. At least that is the goal of setting up barriers. My e mail address is in the magazine and on the Club website for everyone to access. And I can tell you they do. Some spammers offering services, t-shirt sales, e mail services, etc. to the Club. I average from 20-50 spams every day. I have to update my spam filters every week. But the spam continues. Many spammers just change one letter or number in their e mail address and send it out again. All with programs. I can assure you the Board understands our Member's desire for privacy and protection of their e mail and other information entrusted to the Club.
              Richard
              Richard Spagnolli
              AMCA #6153

Comment

Working...
              X