1928 jdl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1928 jdl

A friend of mine found a 1928 JDL....he thinks it may be a factory racer. My question is....did they make a factory racer in 28, and if so could someone post some pics of one.
    I'm sorry I cant give any more info....but I haven't seen it. Any help would be greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Stan..................runnlo

This site has a list of models: http://www.techsweb.us/hdvin2029.html

Model 28F - twin-chain drive, magneto ignition, 8.68 HP, 60.34 c.i., number preceded by 28F, three speed, iron alloy pistons
    Model 28FD - twin-chain drive, magneto ignition, 9.5 HP, 74 c.i., number preceded by 28FD, three speed, iron alloy pistons
    Model 28J - twin-chain drive, generator, 8.68 HP, 60.34 c.i., number preceded by 28J, three speed, iron alloy pistons
    Model 28JD - twin-chain drive, generator, 9.5 HP, 74 c.i., number preceded by 28JD, three speed, iron alloy pistons
    Model 28JXL - twin-chain drive, generator, 8.68 HP, 60.34 c.i., number preceded by 28JXL, three speed, Dow metal pistons
    Model 28JDXL - twin-chain drive, generator, 9.5 HP, 74 c.i., number preceded by 28JDXL, three speed, Dow metal pistons
    Model 28JH - twin-chain drive, two cams, generator, 8.68 HP, 60.34 c.i., number preceded by 28JH, three speed, Dow metal pistons
    Model 28JDH - twin-chain drive, two cams, generator, 9.5 HP, 74 c.i., number preceded by 28JDH, three speed, iron alloy pistons
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks for the response Bill,
      I'll check that out.

Comment

Probably not a factory racer if it's a JDL. That's just a standard road model with some sporty options like smaller wheels, narrow tanks etc. Factory racers would probably have been an FH or FDH engine.
        That's not to say that some privateer didn't use that engine to make a racer at some point.
        Mark Masa
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, are the JDL cylinders different than the standard JD cylinders; and are they the same as JDH cylinders? If any of this is true, what makes a JDL cylinder different?
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric.
            It’s my understanding that the JDL used the same Dow pistons as the JDH which would have given a slightly higher compression ratio than the JD which had iron pistons. The cylinders were the same.

Bill.
            Is there a typo on your list as its showing a JDH as having Iron alloy pistons not Dow?

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your input. As i said ....I havent seen the bike yet, so I can't say what the actual serial designation is....he told me jdl, I see in Bills list that there is no jdl, only jdxl. Is the X actually on the cases, and what does the X stand for? My guess would be experimental, or just for high performance, or maybe both. Is this correct?
              Thanks again,
              Stan.................Runnlo

Comment

Runnlo
                I've never seen the X on a case.

Eric
                The JDL cylinders are the same as a JD and JDH. The JL however has a unique cylinder. The intake valve housings are the tall style like the -23 intake housings, but they have a smaller diameter.

Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thanks Pete, and Mark. That clears up a lot which really says something when the topic is the J series
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

The inlet cages were handed as well
                    The divider in the centre of the inlet slot was shaped like vane and started the incoming gases swirling.
                    One vane for a clockwise swirl on the rear cylinder and the other for an anti-clockwise swirl on the front cylinder.
                    I'll photograph some and post tomorrow
                    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777
                    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Here we go a standard J cage along with the Handed cages that are used in the cylinders with the tall intake housings.
                      The second photo shows the handed vanes.
                      I can't type too good at present, had a fall off my 1957 Manx Norton and are at present very second-hand.
                      The wife reckons the body is "very colourfull"
                      Attached Files
                      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777
                      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

There was a JDL for sale near me a few years back. I just about jumped on it but got sidetracked and let it go... Glad to hear you're well enough to post Tommo!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

IMG_0956.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0951.jpgLook at these cylinders, are not all JDL cylinders tapered finned? These are not Ricy cylinders.

Comment

This is a JDL motor that i have for sale, $900. IMG_6992.jpgIMG_6994.jpgIMG_6995.jpgIMG_6991.jpg

Comment

Terry
                              Aren't those JH / FH cylinders? Road model 61" two cam. JDH's are plentiful compared to the 61" version. Quite rare indeed.
                              Mark Masa

Originally posted by marsh1915hd View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]12093[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12094[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12095[/ATTACH]Look at these cylinders, are not all JDL cylinders tapered finned? These are not Ricy cylinders.
                              Mark Masa
                              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                              X