Glass beading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
    On the glassbead embedding, you guys are stating facts without any scientific testing...
    You make a valid point, but your own experiments aren't sufficiently controlled to draw unambiguous conclusions. Did you use farm grown tomatos, or hothouse? Were they domestic or imported? Cherry or Beefsteak? Without reporting significant parameters like these it's not possible to predict how far they would embed themselves in an as-cast garage door, vs. a garage door that had been annealed.

Comment

Am I the only one suddenly craving salsa?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Back to topic, Folks,

Common sense should be that if you are re-cycling your glass beads at all, as most of us must, you will have sharp shards to embed at any pressure.

The only pragmatic approach to this problem, beyond scrupulous cleaning, is to encapsulate as much as possible with a coating, such as Glyptal.

Can anyone suggest anything more proven to be P4Gas resistant?

Thanks in advance,

...Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

(gonna try the reply again, failed again due to the little box that says my message is too short)

Glyptal has been good to me, or my luck's been good, and the stuff is still looking like it was put on yesterday. Won't say youz all's concerns are over-rated, but might say that there are less-stressful alternatives.

back in the draft days of the army I took a part-time job in a transmission shop. They had a cooker, into which we threw dis-assembled trannies, dirty cases and intricate little valve bodies all together. After about 30 minutes we'd open the top and hose down the parts for a minutes or so, then remove everything for re-assembly.
          I believe such a unit would do satisfactory work for most of us.

Comment

As I mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread. Glyptal is good stuff. WITH caveats about cleaning any residual oil or element that would make it peel is important. The best solution is to avoid bead blasting surfaces that come into contact with oil. This is not always possible. But is something to consider.

Then again, what do I know....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

After having glass beaded my Hen cases I found it impossible to completely remove all evidence of remaining glass. They were boiled, degreased, steam cleaned, and pressure washed but would not pass the wet your finger, drag it over the case, stick it in your mouth test. You could feel the beads between your teeth and a lot of them. Finally took Pierce's advice and took them over to Impco for vapor vacuum degreasing and vacuum impregnation. Can't tell by looking at them that anything was done at all appearance wise but not a speck of glass detected anywhere. Reasonable price and great guys to do business with. Thanks Sirh.

Comment

Working...
              X