Vissiting with the Standley's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vissiting with the Standley's

I was at the Standley's over the weekend, two of the nicest folks I have ever known. They are also about life long Indian fans, together they have been riding and building and making memories on Indians for more than 50 years. Lee is well known for his skill and abilities, both as a racer and tuner/builder. But Dayl, Lee's wife of over 70 years was also quite a motorcyclist in her day. Lee started her out on a Cleveland single cylinder in 42, there's a great photo of them together. Lee on a Sport Scout and Dayl on the Cleveland. It did not take long though and Dayl had her own Scout, she turned out to be a good rider too. Lee called her a natural, Dayl was one of the earliest Motor maids. One of the original members of the first L.A. chapter. Dayl and several other ladies rode together regularly on their own machines.
    Dayl and four other ladies rode from L.A. to Yosemite and back alone, just the girls - no guys. Each of them owned their own machine, out on the open road for a week. Three HD's and two Sport Scout's. I thought this was too cool and had to share, here is a shot of two of Dayl's Scouts. one a Standard Scout 45, this machine was clocked at the Rosamond Dry Lake at 98.90 mph in 1950 ! the second picture shows Dayl riding her Sport Scout in about 1948 on their street in Huntington Park, L.A. area. Look at the smile on her face, awesome stuff. Lee built that one for Dayl also, it's a Bonneville engine with 741 front forks. Both Lee and Dayl are still with us and are a joy to be around, with many wonderful tales and photo's to go along with them of the Glory days. Of the machines that many of us collect :-)
    Attached Files

Great Story and I'm sure the memory of the visit will last forever. Hearing stories first hand face to face from people like Lee and Dayl is better than any museum IMO. Actually its like a walking talking museum. Its easy to take for granted the value these pioneers have while they are still with us. They sound like a perfect opportunity for interview and story in the AMCA magazine.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I agree totally Jason.

Comment

What Jason said! Very cool stuff Tom!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
        X