new member 1st post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member 1st post

Hello every one i'm new to the amca only about 4 months now and i am hooked on the old bikes, i current only have the v-rod that a few of ya'll have seen at a few of the meets, and chapter rides.Easley.,Davenport.,Maggie Valley., bought it new last october 31 and now i have 14, 104 miles already and i ride it everyday, I am going to get me a antique but i am pateient enough not to jump on the first thing i see. I am leaning towards a servi-car flat head 45 i feel this would enable me to learn tank shift.. foot clutch.. without falling on my face.

Sounds good. Your hooked. Welcome aboard.

I wouldn't let a hand shift limit your decision. Practice on back windy rural "flat" roads or an industrial area on a Sunday afternoon. You'll pick it up fast.

Comment

I found the hand shift easy to get used to. When I started I practiced in a large unpaved picnic area and didn't dump it once. It really seems natural after a short time. 45's are great bikes. They're very durable and everything you could possibly need is available for them. Just make sure you don't drop a big bundle of cash on one that does need everything.

Comment

jb, I wouldnt even think of falling on your face! After yo spend some hard earned money on any Antique trust me you wont be doing to much falling! Maybe the clutch will get a workout! It seems hard at fist but as mentioned above just relax,take your time, use common sense and youll do just fine!Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the vote of confiedence, I'm sure you are correct. My mentor constantly reminds me of the many, women that did it before i was born, and i have a lot of respect for those couples i saw at the road runs like richard and debbie beasley from virginia whom i will never forget doubled on a buddy seat, tank shift up in the fog and on the tail of the dragon! talk about having a set. I watched in utter amazment as they took those curves with ease. Thanks for the memories. "jb"

Comment

side car man here new to club and antique motorcycles. will get my 65 fl with sidecar foot clutch hand shift soon good riding pointers here thanks. any more advice?

Comment

Welcome, sidecar man!

I have enjoyed my '65s with footclutches, and a hack tossed between them.
              We are here to help...

But you are at the mercy of your own inspection and diligence with the hardware itself.
              Beyond that, I would suggest a regime of push-ups, and tightening the damper firmly.

.....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thanks t. cotten cant wait to get my bike, have been riding 45 yrs. foot clutch-hand shift practice will be fun. also have a triumph rocket 3 roadsters.

Comment

In my opinion a Servi-Car would be a poor first choice unless you just like weird, ungainly, underpowered machinery. A 45 solo would be better, any Big Twin better yet. If you can walk and chew gum you can ride a hand shift bike. It is neither difficult or any kind of black magic and can be mastered in short order. About as long as it would take to get bored with the Servi-Car. You are far better off learning on two wheels. If three wheels draw you in then go for a sidecar rig, AFTER you master the solo. Sidecars are far more forgiving than Servi-Cars, and way more fun.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Welcome to the dark side... I actually think V-Rod's are really amazing bikes. Porsche meets Hog! So you started off well.

There is so much great stuff in the old bike world. And you are in the right place to dive in. Good advice here... master an old bike on two wheels... then go "wherever."

Hand shift bikes won't be too hard. Just practice a bit. But no worries. Find an empty road or a high school parking lot and have at it. You will figure it out in about an hour. Master it in 300 miles. It's not that hard.

As for buying a vintage bike... be patient. Spend a year finding one. You may 'want' one. But you don't need one. That gives you the luxury of time. Also, the best bikes never get advertised. They are not on eBay or in Hemmings or Walnecks. They change hands HERE... in the AMCA. On a handshake and trust. Noone advertises good bikes. Because they don't need to. So keep that in mind as you search for a machine.

45 solo's are the most affordable bikes out there these days. But Indian's are also under-priced, IMHO. Don't discount a post-war Chief. It's a lot of bike for the money. And if you are going to learn to hand shift... learn on the right? Or convert to the left. Regardless... there are a lot of good vintage bikes out there. And a lot of good advice in here, the AMCA forum.

So welcome aboard. Can't wait to see a picture of your first vintage bike. It will be a rite of passage. And we'll be right there with ya!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

I fairly new here myself. I bought a 50 Panhead back in the 73. it has a hand shift and foot clutch. Left hand front brake. I had rode Aremacchi's before. So the first few times learning to ride the Panhead I would grabbed the front brake for the clutch. Needless to say I put the bike in the ditch a time or two.

Comment

I think the tank shift foot clutch bikes are easier for me than my early sportsters that shift on the right side, maybe I just don't ride the sportsters enough, thanks, Larry

Comment

Originally posted by 36 knuck man View Post
                          I think the tank shift foot clutch bikes are easier for me than my early sportsters that shift on the right side, maybe I just don't ride the sportsters enough, thanks, Larry
                          roger that!
                          I've driven plenty of old pickups with granny-gear 4-speed, and the Chief's only dis-similarity is with the left-hand throttle vs foot, and that's what made it so easy for my first time (that even covers the synchronizing of the gears!).

Comment

Working...
                          X