Help with 1957 cushman highlander clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1957 cushman highlander clutch

I recently purchased a 1957 Cushman Highlander. The clutch slips, actually I can hold the scooter and rev the engine and it will not move. I am going to order parts but want to know beforehand how to go about rebuilding the clutch. What do I need to remove to install new clutch parts? Can the motor stay in the frame? I assume the large nut on the end of the crankshaft holding the clutch is left hand thread? Any tips for overhaul? It is the simple centrifugal clutch on crankshaft with sprocket and chain drive to rear wheel.

The nut is right hand thread...yes you can leave the motor in the frame...the factory tool is a sort of a long threaded nut with one end closed...when you tighten onto the shaft hit the end of it straight on with a hammer the clutch will pop off... but what are you expecting this scooter to do...as you stated the is a centrifugal clutch when holding the scooter back & reving up the engine it is going to slip...that is only a 4.8 hp engine on that scooter so don't expect too much performance... i doubt there is anything wrong with your clutch...hope this helps

Comment

http://www.cushmanclubofamerica.com/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...anual&_sacat=0
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Great video of Cushmans (Cushmen?) in Sturgis!
        Rich
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

It should take off when RPMs increase.Are the weights free to move or frozen?

Comment

Thanks guys for the information. I am not that familiar with this scooter, just wanted a little heads up. The weights are free and seem to work ok. Distance between clutch disk and plate is about 1/8", just wondering if clutch is worn?

Comment

Working...
            X