'53 Harley K-Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '53 Harley K-Model

Hello to everyone, a new member here. Hope to be able to spend some time on the message board, looks like a lot of cool stuff, info, and whatever to be found here.
    But first I have a question for those more knowledgable than me:
    I ran across a 100% original '53 K-model in very good to excellent condition, everything is original to the bike, even the tires (probably has original air in the tires!?), motor's never been opened up, original paint with some scratches but still real nice. A slight bit of surface rust around spokes, on shocks, etc. 3,900 miles. Runs well, shifts and stops like a '53. Problem is I have no idea what this thing is worth. The owner has an idea but I think he might be a bit high (the price that is). Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion or direct me to a source? Is 12 grand too much? Is 8 grand too low? Have no idea how to value this bike (emotional attachment notwithstanding). I do know its not the most desirable "K", compared to say a '56 KHK. My pockets aren't real deep, but I sure would like to have this one.
    Thanks for any help.

That's a tough call. If you have the money and really want the machine than it could be worth 12g. Personally, I think 6-8g is plenty for a '53 but I've never seen anyone sell one as original as you describe. My gut feeling is that the well deserved reputation of the early Ks will always hamper their value compared to other models, kind of like the Indian verticals.

Comment

Thanks Kojack, appreciate your input. Thats the dilemma I've got; hate to spend that kind of cash, (like I have it to throw around anyway) but this thing is a real time capsule, even has the original tool pouch and Rider's Handbook. Oh well, got a couple weeks to make a decision. See what happens.
      Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X