Using glyptal on engine cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using glyptal on engine cases?

Is glyptal ok to use with modern gas? If not are there any other suggestions?

I use it on all vintage engines that I rebuild. However, I can't say what the long term effects are on it, from using the various auto fuels available. Cotton speaks from time to time about the type of gas in his area, and how it attacks certain components of vintage engines. I don't recall if he has mentioned it, in relation to Glyptal.

I would not be afraid to use it, as with regular oil changes, if it were to be affected by fuels, it would disolve and come out with the old oil. The only way to tell is to periodically peak into the engine. Glyptal is some tough stuff. When cured, it can take quite a bit of chemical abuse, as it is still used for motor windings and transformer oil tanks.

Jack

Comment

Good surface prep. Paint on the liquid real thick. Just poke the bubbles before they set. It's slow -but it does flow. Mask off areas, hard to get off.

I got some from Eastwood. Dark red.

Some elec. supp. have a brighter red. And that would be the "offical" indian product.

Comment

Please note that Glyptal is best baked (after dry).

Glyptal will not survive a direct attack by the worst Midwestern fuel. I have not subjected it to a P4gas/oil mix, as I was searching for an effective float coating.

It goes without saying that machines should have an absolute seal at the petcock. (It may be prudent for '40-'65 H-D OHV machines to have a secondary petcock for safety, as the carbs drain readily into the motor when left on the kickstand.)
        NO raw fuel, of any kind, in the motor oil is good for any machine.

The spectre of evil additives accumulating in the oil in service is best banished by frequent changes, particularly before storage.
        Note that even tetraethyl lead is destructive to motor oil's properties. But our good friend Ethanol vaporizes out readily at operating temperatures, and is a minimal risk to internal coatings.

Gasoila, reputed to be the original American machine internal coating, does not seem to withstand anything at all.

Comment

Working...
        X