California bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California bound

I am heading out to California for the Yerba Buena road run today. Hope to see some of you there.

It's pouring rain here now. Ugggh...

You bringin the old man? Tell him I'm preped to whoop-his-butt -AGAIN! Maybe I can smoke the entire Olson clan?

I finally have properly functioning front brake, drum skim. So don't draft my line into the corners.

I'm hooking over to the 101 S.Oregon to check out the M/C museum in Port Orford. Then takin it the rest of the way down. Maybe I can find a pretty lady to drive my "ve-HIC-le" while I pull the bike and ride it down through NorCal. That would be nice. I've had pretty good luck on the road lately.

Look forward to seeing you! It's going to be great. Maybe some rain on the weekend but the week looks good. Not so good for the folks in the S. East. Re Hurricane Ivan. 130mph winds. Yikes!

Comment

I made it back in one piece yesterday afternoon. 4,120 miles of (major) trouble free riding on a 46 knucklehead. What a blast. I will remember that trip for the rest of my life.

Comment

matt, you rule. i was riding rick's black and white '47 knucklehead with you from time to time. sure was an awesome trip, and i am glad you made it home safely. good to see you, too, paul.

ken from boston

Comment

Good stuff Matt! I enjoyed seeing you on the road -periodically in spots we weren't supposed to be. hee-hee...not lost! Just self mis-directed. Also enjoyed getting a chance to talk face to face with you, and your old man. Now refered to as "Matt's Dad".

I really enjoyed watching Carl muscle his bike around a corner from behind. His rear tire did a perfect hop, skip and jump around one corner.

No coaster race. I missed a turn down that mountain. We did ride together for 40 miles or so, which was good. Carl and I will have to rematch. I'll have the scout dialed in at that point hopefully. Good to see he's lost some weight and has quit smokeing.

I'm taking to heart the advice of- best way to ride a rigid, is to follow a rigid.
          For the prewarning bounce. I saw John Crawford catch about 8 inches of air on his 48 Chief at one point. Over head trees and funny shadows on the road made it real hard to see stuff.

I don't think anyone came off that run with virgin foot boards. It was great!

Matt, you should write a story about your adventure. Post it here.

Some really interesting things happened to me on the way down and back. I'll write a bit about them when I get some time. Maybe 8 new members!

A joke: What do call an antique motorcycle being towed real slowly through town in an open trailer?

Answer: Trolling for parts.

Comment

Hey Ken, It was good to meet and ride with you also. Hopefully we'll get a chance to do it again. I'll get the much slower Scout 45 on the road. That T100R is far too nimble/zippy. I'll be lucky if Ian ever talks to me again. I think I need to ride a track day before each road run. I did really enjoy the high clearance, four gears, and properly functioning twin leading shoe front brake. All suspension problems now mentally resolved. A good wad of rubber melted off the Avons.

Ahhhhh....the ride ends too quickly.

You've got a couple of cute kids there. Get them on the bike. Will your wife ride? email me direct.

Comment

ONLY negative thing about the road run -- after riding that knuck, my 45 feels like a vespa! 4 speed EL vs. 3 speed WL. like the guitar amp in spinal tap -- it's one more!

Comment

I hear ya brother! And thus - the strokeing. Or that OD box for Chiefs. I was really hopeing that Jim Mosher would open up that 58" stroker scout bobber w/ 4gear box. We were in some tight twisties - so it didn't happen. He's got it tuned bang on. That modern carb must really smooth it out. Very cool just to talk tech with him about it. Super nice guy. I love this club! You meet the most diverse bunch of incredibly cool guys around.

I'll get some shots of my local buddies WR (period correct) tracker for you posted up. It's got some serious zip. Or I guess for the ultimate 45 experience you could build a 648 big base scout, w/ cams. Hee-hee....

Wait till you see the photos I took at Stan Dishongs' museum. That will get your mind turning. It was very cool talking to Stan about the technical details of some of his engines.

Ahhhh....sometimes you just have to enjoy it for what it is. Run with other 45s.

I think I may be able to talk Lenard into swapping bikes for a day. He's got that 1920 something HD. You see alot more driveing in the slow lane sometimes. I see alot of guys in the club working a path of regression. Which I think is normal. Older, slower, more tempermental. Keeps it interesting.

I feel the pre-29, pre-16 bikes have a certain aura about them. A little bit of magic if you will. I get it when looking at a board track racer. A warm wave just rolls over me.

Comment

I went into mapquest just to see what a crazy section of incredible road that Paul lead us down on day one. These back country roads make the old number one highway seem very tame. Serious tire melting stuff. Rarely could you get out of 2nd gear. It was great!

I can't think of many roads that can beat a CA canyon road. I dreamed of doing this for a few years. I was not disappointed. I now have three favorites picked out.
                  Attached Files

Comment

like the guitar amp in spinal tap -- it's one more!

Yeah, but this ones got eleven....perfect for when we we're looking for that extra umph.

One of the funniest cinematic moments in history

Comment

Working...
                    X