Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victor Boocock and his 1914 HD are at it again !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 10E View Post
    Cory

I hope you have enjoyed the run as much as I have.
    The motor and bike is in pieces, and have some interesting pics you may find interesting and will explain the power loss.
    Thanks
    Victor
    Congratulations Victor and glad you made it home. Persistence sure paid off getting over that mountain! Having been on that section of Rt 50 in a car a couple years ago I can really relate. The scenery is breathaking and makes it all worthwhile. Really looked forward to your updates along the way. Inspiring stories like yours helps people like me know if you can do this on a 1914, my modern 48 should be no problem. The bike is only one part of the equation. The rider's mental and physical stamina is just as important. There are few people who would even considering attempting to do what you just did on a bike that old.

Look forward to any other updates and stories from your trip. Definitely hope to get the Chief out to that section of the country for some riding "someday".
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
      Fillibuster

I would like to know more about high speed conveyour systems / materials for a certain project. What do you have?

joe.
      got plenty of bs, especially if yer conveying knucklehead parts!
      But if you're serious, it starts with "what are you trying to do?"

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
        got plenty of bs, especially if yer conveying knucklehead parts!
        But if you're serious, it starts with "what are you trying to do?"
        Flat tank belt drive bikes need belts , Fast flat tank bikes need fast belts !

joe

Comment

Flat tank belt drive bikes need belts , Fast flat tank bikes need fast belts !

joe
          Hope you're ready to break some rules with them belts! Pulley sizing and fitting with stock stuff? I might suggest a serpentine-like belt, like a dozen of 'em. .. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
          I got rid of my old Greaves Klusman flat-belt-drive lathe, but its belt seemed up to the task, a little thick (5/16"?) maybe, 1 1/4" wide. (from memory) I think you can get a vulcanized splice, but you'd have to pull the rear wheel to change it, huh?

Seems there were some 2-speed rear hubs used with flat belt'ers, weren't there? Had a larger motor pulley plus a snubber pulley. ... maybe seen it on an Indian, though.

Comment

Hope you're ready to break some rules with them belts! Pulley sizing and fitting with stock stuff? I might suggest a serpentine-like belt, like a dozen of 'em. .. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
            I got rid of my old Greaves Klusman flat-belt-drive lathe, but its belt seemed up to the task, a little thick (5/16"?) maybe, 1 1/4" wide. (from memory) I think you can get a vulcanized splice, but you'd have to pull the rear wheel to change it, huh?

Seems there were some 2-speed rear hubs used with flat belt'ers, weren't there? Had a larger motor pulley plus a snubber pulley. ... maybe seen it on an Indian, though.
            ......end.

'scuse me, on the 2-speed hub, you run that already, ... but I never hear you talk about it. What ratio is that?
            ... I looked at my Redskin book, and saw that Indian tried a belt drive in 1910 and 1911, with a planetary gear in the engine pulley that allowed a larger pulley (more grip), but that the planetary gear was expensive and prone to failure.

Comment

Originally posted by dave kafton View Post
              Hi all, I am going to attempt to put up a video of an interview of Victor and his trusty steed getting refreshments before the last leg of his ride. I am a complete computer idiot, so I hope this works, Dave

http://youtu.be/1L4JxdjAXJs
              Great video Dave!!! I've learned a valuable life lesson regarding bananas and riding down the highway!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

......end.

'scuse me, on the 2-speed hub, you run that already, ... but I never hear you talk about it. What ratio is that?
                ... I looked at my Redskin book, and saw that Indian tried a belt drive in 1910 and 1911, with a planetary gear in the engine pulley that allowed a larger pulley (more grip), but that the planetary gear was expensive and prone to failure.
                Fillibuster

I don't talk about a two speed hub because I am not running one. Like Victor, my 14 is a single speed bike. Two speed hubs were optional in fourteen. Planetary gears are interesting.

joe

Comment

Fillibuster

I don't talk about a two speed hub because I am not running one. Like Victor, my 14 is a single speed bike. Two speed hubs were optional in fourteen. Planetary gears are interesting.

joe
                  double 's'cuse me! Gray hair and old-timer's? Something this morning, maybe in my coffee....
                  Were the 2-spd hubs stout enough to handle your kinda torque? Just curious, there, but it seems that would have been a helluva advantage, if so.
                  Indian's 1910 planetary was in the engine pulley, ran constantly (in automatic car trannies the reduction is not in effect in direct drive), and they likely had bearing and lubrication difficulties, and ancient seals, but a modern-day 2-speed unit seems plausible. That would enable a larger drive pulley, more grip, broader contact.

Comment

Fillibuster

joe
                    double 's'cuse me! Gray hair and old-timer's? Something this morning, maybe in my coffee....
                    Were the 2-spd hubs stout enough to handle your kinda torque? Just curious, there, but it seems that would have been a helluva advantage, if so.
                    Indian's 1910 planetary was in the engine pulley, ran constantly (in automatic car trannies the reduction is not in effect in direct drive), and they likely had bearing and lubrication difficulties, and ancient seals, but a modern-day 2-speed unit seems plausible. That would enable a larger drive pulley, more grip, broader contact.

Comment

A quote from Victor... "This is how it all started. I believe it is Readley, California mid 1970s"

Pretty cool stuff!!!

70s. Pre-16 guys.

Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
                        Thanks for all your work.
                        Afraid I forgot to say, the 1st pic is Reedley Ca. and the group pick is at San Juan Batista. Ca.
                        Victor

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        A quote from Victor... "This is how it all started. I believe it is Readley, California mid 1970s"

Pretty cool stuff!!!

70s. Pre-16 guys.

Comment

No problem whatsoever Victor. I look forward to hearing more about you and that '14 of yours.
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Victor, thanks so much for documenting your journey and letting us live vicariously through you. And Cory, thanks again for bringing all the great media to a very willing audience.
                            Eric Olson
                            Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks all
                              Pics coming soon of tear down.
                              Victor

Comment

Working...
                              X