Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victor Boocock and his 1914 HD are at it again !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Boocock and his 1914 HD are at it again !!

For those of you that might be interested. My friend Victor is riding his original 1914 Harley single speed from Dodge city Kansas to San Francisco Ca in record time. He has put on well over 400 miles a day the last 3 days in a row at age 70. I have been reporting on his ride on the Motorcycle Cannonball website. He plans to arrive in Frisco tomorrow afternoon. Check it out,. Dave

Will do! Thanks Dave! Go Victor!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Dave, can you post a link to the cannonball site where you are writing about Victor's ride. I have looked at the Cannonball site and do not see anything. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Comment

Here ya go! That Victor is an early ridin' machine!

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/...d=2496#pid2496
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hi, Sorry about that, Here is the link. He made it to my house in central California late this afternoon. He only has 90 miles to go and I think he is going to make it but it is going to be way after dark. Dave

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/...ad.php?tid=668

Comment

hope he has more photo's like he did the first trip, awesome stuff!

Comment

Thanks Dave. The motor ran great since your last rebuild. I think it's got about 5000 miles since the rebuild. The only issue I had was I think, a fuel starvation problem, my guess is crud in the fuel tank etc. It would clear it self with a bit of on the go adjustments.
              I still think this is the greatest country to own a motorcycle. What a joy to see a great array of scenery and it's good people, from the plains of Kansas, the Rockies at 11,000 plus feet into red colors of Utah and into my favorite, the high desert of Nevada with it's small mining towns and just plain seemingly barrenness that has everything, and onto and over the Sierra to California that feeds a nation with many things.
              I think I rode about 1700 miles in a four days, a bit of push, but at 45/50mph you are not going anywere fast.
              Tom, I've got some photos and will attempt to get them posted.
              I recommend this to all, it's a bit like living on the edge of volcano, but boy what a lot of fun and fulfillment
              I will add more if you are interested.
              victor

Comment

Victor you are truly an inspiring individual. You've proven that the "early" machines can be run solo, without backup over long distances in modern times. Kudos as well to Dave for the wrenching!!! I'm another one that is looking forward to photos.
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Yes, very interested indeed. Hat's off to both of ya, I think alot of us dream about doing this kind of thing. I would love to on my 14 when done, maybe some day it well happen. Thanks to guys like you Victor, showing us just how well it can be done - right on!

Comment

Hello
                    Two years ago on my solo run from Manhattan to San Francisco I failed (motor trouble, needed a tow) to get over the 11,300ft Monarch Pass.
                    I said I would go back and make it over under power.
                    That's the reason I shipped my bike to Dodge City in order to get a good run at it. I almost made it the first time but stopped about half mile from the top with a very hot motor. It's about a 12 mile steady climb to the summit. A real hp sucker on a 14. It's difficult to get a 14 started on this type of grade. (Single speed, I said I would take a 1 tooth lower engine sprocket but got lazy)
                    I'd spotted a side road 1/4 mile down the mountain with a ski jump incline in my favor. After letting the motor cool down for 30 mins I turned around, ran up the ski slope road as far as possible and when I thought the road was clear gunned it and merged into the highway at a great rate of speed (25mph) with just enough momentum to get the clutch home, it gradually picked up a bit of speed but as I neared the summit, I knew it was only a quarter mile to the top, I had to start slipping the clutch to keeping the rpm up otherwise it's death.
                    It's a fine balance between slipping the clutch and rpm ( I've got fairly good at it) without burning the clutch and this technique is only good for about a quarter mile. I went around the corner and there it was, the summit. I took a photograph of the bike with summit sign in the background, utters some words and
                    hustled down the mountain to Gunnison for a good nights rest.
                    Wait, there's more.

Comment

Let me get the popcorn and a comfy seat... this is gold!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

What Cory said !

Comment

That's awesome, Victor! Congratulations!!!

Comment

Hello
                            I suppose I should start at the beginning. I shipped the bike to Jason at H.D of Dodge City, they had it on display for a couple weeks, I think the locals had a good time looking it over. Also I had talked to Jim Johnson who is in charge of the centennial celebration of the the 1914 Dodge City 300. Great Guy a wanted photos of the bike for their upcoming celebration. I flew in via Denver on the once a day, no frills, twin engine turboprop, sitting in the front seat with no cockpit door it almost felt like I was flying the plane as we danced around huge thunderhead clouds.
                            Jim met me at the airport and detoured me to the original site of the 300mile racetrack. It's a cornfield now, but the way he described it you could smell and hear the sound of the old open pipe motorcycles. (website DodgeCity300@gmail.org )
                            After stopping at the DC library to make a donation ( i'm a big fan of libraries) I picked the bike up from HD. Dodge City. Great bunch of people. and followed Jim to a photo op at the Boot Hill Museum. On the way over Jim took me too larger than life bronzes of a Texas Long Horn, and Wyatt Herp.
                            They had a great welcome at the outdoor museum, everybody dressed in period costume,(they have a daily enactment of the west) horses, Wyatt Herp, an Indian in war paint and a bunch of very interesting characters. Photos were taken and I very very special.
                            I was in bed by 8pm. Up at 4am checking the bike out and get ready for a start as soon as light was up.
                            I left a very friendly Dodge City at 6.10am August 1st ( don't ask why) hoping to ride the 1700miles and be home in four days.

Comment

I can recall an evening in Dodge City near sunset... I was standing outside, taking in the horizon, wondering where that track could have been! Good to hear you found it Victor!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X